How many chickens can I put in my coop?

Morrow1411

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 16, 2012
Tampa Florida
My kids and I built a coop for 5 chickens (we have 6, but one has to have his own coop). I was wondering how many more chickens can I add? What is the average space need per chicken?

Most people on this site say 4 sq. feet per chicken though some do only 3 sq. ft/bird. It seems like you should only go with less room in the coop if they spend most of their day free ranging and only sleep in the coop.

I followed the 4 sq ft/inside and 10sq ft in the run. I live in So. Calf. our run is covered and they spend most days out free ranging I don't anticipate anytime they'd be restricted to the hen house, so I probably could have gone with less inside space. Won't be sure until we've been through a winter and if its mild

We have 14 medium sized hens and 7 bantams. We just purchased a 4x6 coop with 3 nesting boxes for them. They were previously housed in part of our shed which was larger for them. Do you think this will be a problem?

We have 14 medium sized hens and 7 bantams. We just purchased a 4x6 coop with 3 nesting boxes for them. They were previously housed in part of our shed which was larger for them. Do you think this will be a problem?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination - but our chicken coop (not including the little run area) is also 4x6 (4x9 with run) and I was told to have no more than 8 large fowl or 10 bantam in there...not both. 21 chickens seems like an awful lot for 4x6 - but I'd wait for someone to post who knows more than I do. =)

Last edited:
Is the coop just for night time and they free range or have a run for the day? And warm winters?

our coop is 4x8, has exterior nest boxes, a new 10x8 ground space run and they free range. But that would be hard on our 9 if they only had the coop and run

I have two coops. A 3x4 that 8 barely fit in and a 3x3 that houses 6. That being said, they only sleep in the coops and free range from daybreak til roost time. They sleep in two separate coops b/c they were more or less raised in two different age groups/flocks, and tend to maintain those early bonds/pecking orders. I would think the trouble you'd have "adding chickens" to your flock would result in the new members getting really picked on and not accepted by the established flock, so it's more complicated than simply how many birds a given size will hold. I was able to successfully integrate my second younger flock in by keeping them penned inside my yard as they grew inside a 10ft by 20 ft pen. The older hens of course could see them and interact (separated by chain link fence) all day long. This lasted about six weeks before we let the two flocks mix...there were a few tense moments at first but it worked. They still naturally seem to hang out with original flock mates as they free range, then each evening they segregate into separate roosting flocks in two separate coops.

They are only in at night, free range during the day. 5 of the bantams are staying in our old coop, because it is a hen and her 4 chicks she brooded recently. Tonight is their third night in the new 4x6 coop and everyone seems to be doing fine. My husband put the roost above the floor, so they pretty much have 2 levels within their coop. All is well so far. A friend of ours wants some hens so we will be adopting 3 or 4 of the full size hens out next week.

Does anyone know how I can post pics of my new coop project?

Thanks!

We only have 2sq ft of coop space per bird. No it's not ideal, but it is working. 40 hens and an 8x10 coop. 10 nest boxes. 30 ft of roost space. We live in the country and the hens free range all day, and can also go inside the barn during inclement weather.
To post a pic: At the top of the reply box there is a tool bar. Click on the square one that looks like a picure, when you mouse over it it says 'insert image'.

Back
Top Bottom