How many chickens can I raise in a 8x12 coop

animal nut

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
S. E Ohio
I have an 8x12 coop and would like to know how many can I keep happy. I have a 432 sp. ft. running and can expand this alot larger. I currently have 6 under a year old and 15 day of chicks.

D.gif
:cd:plbb

2 teenagers.
3 dogs, 2 cats,2 household birds and now 21 chickens

I'm no expert by any means, but I believe the general rule of thumb is 4 square ft per chicken. So you should be able to have 24.

It also depends on where you live and if it's a cold climate. We allow for 10 sq ft per bird in the coop for when we're in deep snow or deep freeze. With that in mind, I would only put 10 birds in an 8 X 12 space.

Jody

The above people are correct. You should allow 4 sq. feet per Standard size chicken inside the coop and 10 sq. feet per Standard size chicken for outside run space. I am a huge advocate of having less chickens than more. When people put the maximum amount of chickens they can in their coop they usually end up with problems like feather
pecking. If you ever had to lock them inside for even a day (due to bad weather) the chickens will go stir crazy and take it out on each other if they don't have plenty of space inside.

I particularly like how hinkjc does it.

Thanks, everyone... I wondered because if you use the square footage according to books arround 30 is correct. I am new at this and if you listen to people like yourselves I know I am getting experience.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom