How many chickens can we have!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lizi.beth915, Sep 10, 2011.

1. lizi.beth915

lizi.beth915 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    This is our first season with chickens. We have a coop that is 5' long, 8' wide & about 7' tall in the front & slants to being about 6' in the back with a 5x13 run attached to it. We have lots of perches in there that make use of the height, and we let them free-range alot, but how many chickens can our coop comfortably house when they're all going to be stuck in there for winter?

Thanks,
    Liz

2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    Most folks would say that you could have 10 standard birds or a few more if they're small ones. More room for them is better that not enough. You didn't say if your run is covered or not but even in MD your chickens might want to be outside if they don't have to walk through snow.

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Yep, 4 sq ft/standard bird or 10 standard birds in your size coop.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

IMO max of 10 (for harmony/ease of maintaining) if you get snow/ice, and I imagine your area does. If you have a covered run, carport, lean-tos and such that the chickens can get to easily, they will be much happier. Although chickens don't like snow, it's best to still open your pop door daily to give them an opportunity to stretch their legs and get some fresh air. Shoveling, tossing down straw, etc. will encourage them to come out as well. If you get a LOT of snow, enough that the birds might not be able to come out for days at a time, then you might opt for a few less.

5. chicknrt

chicknrt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    wow a webcam on the coop... what a lovely idea!! [​IMG]

6. lizi.beth915

lizi.beth915 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Thank you! We have 7 standard chickens out in the coop now, and 3-4 more girls that will go out there soon, so perfect! I'm just concerned because we've been getting really bad snowstorms here for the past few winters, I didn't want them to get all crowded, since we lost a few hens to that issue while they were still living in our sunroom when they were little... (our bad) But a covered run is a good idea! Why didn't I think of that? lol. Thanks, again. [​IMG]

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. 10

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by