how many chickens can you have

The number of chickens that the law allows varies widely, and is pretty arbitrary. In my area, for example, it ranges from 4 to 25 on a standard sized lot. You'll need to look up the laws for your city.

In England we can have unlimited. However, one we reach a certain number (49) of any form of poultry, chickens, quail, ducks, geese, rhae etc, we have to register with DEFRA
roll.png

In Norco CA on a lot over 10,000 sq feet you can have three hundred, of which only thirteen can be crowing roosters. I only have about a hundred, and try to keep the crowing rooster numbers around tenish.

I found this site... http://clerkshq.com/default.ashx?clientsite=Santafe-nm

I
did a search on 'poultry' in it, and it looks like you can have any number, no limits are stated at all... as long as they're not for 'commercial production' and they are cared for and not causing smell and kept clean if you go by the animal regulations, which also do not mention poultry or chickens specificaly just that there must be clean water, fresh food and shelter and no animals can run loose, so keep within some kind of fencing.

You should research it all very carefully though, I am NOT in ANY way any sort of lawyer or expert on this topic, sometimes I can come up with some decent research is all.

I'm going to keep looking for at least a little while.
hmm.png

//edit// oh and one thing that is good, in the specific list of what is considered 'livestock' poultry and/or chickens is NOT listed! And they are quite specific about other animals, in cases like this, that livestock title is a realy sticky subject, but they quite clearly exclude poultry.

Last edited:
It varies by city, but where I live, I am allowed 2 chickens per 3,500 sq ft of property. I am allowed 10 chickens (10% roo (or 1 in my case)). We have 28 hens and 2 roosters.....and cool neighbors!
tongue.png
A nearby city is allowed NONE, but DHs best friend has 10 hens and nice neighbors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom