How many chickens for this size coop/ run?

jwyles

Crossing the Road
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Louisiana
I have a 9 x 12 coop and adding a 12 x 13 run. How many f/s chickens could be maintained in this? Coop will have an opening for f/t access to run. Just FYI I currently have 9 adult hens and 1 cockerel growing out.

The run is definitely the limiting factor here.

We had a small coop and large covered run but chicken math happened so we converted out large covered run to a coop and have been letting our birds free range, but we decided to turn the garden off the side of the coop into the run to keep them contained. If I didn't have limited space run would definitely be bigger but I'm working with what I've got. I knew the 4 ft 10 ft rule but wasn't sure if having a large coop could some how make up for a small run and allow me more chucks. So much for wishful thinking! :confused::idunno

If the coop is wide open to the run, like mine, you can get by with a few more birds in the space. I've got a 8 X 10 coop and a 10 X 10 covered run for a total of 180 sq ft, average flock size is about 20, give or take a few cockerels/grow outs. But keep in mind, this is an established flock with a stable pecking order. I need that outer pen when integrating chicks or new adult birds.
DSCN0744.JPG

The outer pen is under construction while I repair the fencing that bears have trampled.

If the coop is wide open to the run, like mine, you can get by with a few more birds in the space. I've got a 8 X 10 coop and a 10 X 10 covered run for a total of 180 sq ft, average flock size is about 20, give or take a few cockerels/grow outs. But keep in mind, this is an established flock with a stable pecking order. I need that outer pen when integrating chicks or new adult birds.
View attachment 1235377
The outer pen is under construction while I repair the fencing that bears have trampled.

That's what I was thinking. This my old set up. I enclosed the open run you see here and converted the little play house part has a screen between it and the coop bc I plan to add a run off the front of it for my daughters' bantams. 4 of them. I just recently acquired a cockerels which I plan to breed to my flock. (You and I discussed it @junebuggena in another thread ) and I'm wondering how many offspring I can keep. It's killing me not putting together s spring chick order, but I want to be able to keep my own babes if I want to.

Attachments

• IMG_5274.PNG
    IMG_5274.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Rule of thumb, minimum 4 sq ft per chicken in coop & 10 sq ft per in the run. However BIGGER the better, more space less issues with the flock. And the worst is Chicken Math :oops:

No need to hide @ChickNanny13 :lau! I agree. Just wondering if abdyine with experience has dealt with a hug coop vs small-ish run. Hoping to get away with a few more than minimum if possible based on total square footage. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom