How many chickens is too many???

smile.png

I miss read the coop size I thought it said 4X8 my mistake. Its 6X8
The 12 she had were fine BUT adding the three bantams then 3 more Bantams
is not a good idea being shut up all winter, and she edited her post,

usalbrechts - Didn't you say you were also ordering more standards???

If you can figure out how to get a new pen or build a smaller pen for the silkies
in a shed or garage go for it.

smile.png

No, no more standards. I am racking my brain trying to figure out some kind of temporary "coop" that I could rig up for the winter. We were planning on building a little "pallet" coop in the spring. My husband has unlimited access to free pallets. I just know that a building project aint happening before then.

I would use a big doghouse on the south side of the coop you have now!

add door to front to close them in at night!

then cut a whole in top with door to get eggs!

This month GRIT has a conversion of a plastic barn dog house into a perfect coop!

Yeah! I have a friend who has a wooden dog house her husband made for their 2 labs to fit in (it is big). She is going to give it to me!!! Thank You RChicks for the great idea.

fluffysilkies, I think you were right the first time.
In a 6x8 size I'd only keep 6 standards max, especially if they were to be kept indoors all winter.
Our coop is 16 x 8, we keep 15 to 17 standard hens in it each year. The thought of squeezing 32 in there seems like an invitation to trouble.

I've always felt the 4 sq.ft / bird is overcrowding and more for those who really do want the maximum birds in the smallest space.
I know others would disagree with this.

spot

Back
Top Bottom