how many chickens so you have and how many eggs do you get on a normal day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SOMDcRAB, Aug 13, 2013.

1. SOMDcRAB

SOMDcRAB New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm figuring out how many chickens to get and want to know how many chickens y'all have and how many eggs you get ona normal day. Feel free to add breed also

Thank you very much

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you are getting Leghorns or sex links, figure about an egg a day from each hen.

If you are getting the heavy brown egglayers, figure about an egg every other day for each hen.

Just my experience!

But then they go broody, quit laying for the heat or stress of some change in the flock, etc.

So figure that they won't give you quite this many eggs.

Then the second year they decrease the amount a bit, etc.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh and if you get bantams that go broody a lot, just don't count them LOL.

4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    We have 8 hens four adults (hatched 4/12) and four pullets (all hatched 3/1/13). All are laying and we get 4, sometimes 5, eggs on hot days and 7-8 eggs on cooler days... 21 eggs in the past three (cooler) days.

My goal was to never buy eggs at the store. We do get more eggs than 5 people need in the summer but the right amount in winter when egg production slows.

We have 2 Buff Orps, 1 SLW, 1 GLW, 2 RIR's, 1 Maran and 1 Wellsummer.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. SOMDcRAB

SOMDcRAB New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    ok thanks that give me a good idea about how many eggs a dozen chickens will give me

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 20 pullets that just started laying june 27th. im getting 16-18 eggs a day. all but 2 pullets are laying. I have 6 black sexlinks, 6 barred rocks, 6 white leghorns, and 2 red sexlinks, I have been getting about 9-10 dozen eggs a week on average. I sell my eggs as well. and I have eggs on backorder right now lol.

7. escape

escape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    We have seven hens (hatched the end of Feb). Three sex links and four leg horns.

We consistantly get seven eggs a day. Occasionally we get only six eggs, but on a normal day they give us seven.

8. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    I have 6 standard size hens and 3 bantam hens, it is still winter here and 3 of my big girls are new and not laying yet and 1 Banty is still not laying again after stopping for winter, so I have 5 laying atm and am getting 3-4 a day. When all are laying I am expecting 7-8 a day.
    Breeds I have
    2 Isa browns (laying)
    1 slw (laying)
    1 Maran (new, not laying)
    2 Orpingtons (new, not laying)
    1 Peking bantam (laying)
    1 Peking bantam frizzle (laying)
    1 specked something bantam (not laying)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011