How many chickens to start with?

This is great info, thank you so much! The roost height information in particular is new to me and not something I'd thought of. I'm enlisting my husband in the design and construction of the chicken's home, and we're both new to chickens, so we'll keep this in mind. Just curious, is the roost height above nest box advice so that they are more likely to avoid sleeping (and pooping) in the nest boxes?

Yes, they very much like to roost at the highest point, so the roost must be that or they will roost in the nest, now on the other hand, I built a 3 tier nest, 3 nest on each level and the hens roost in the top tier and lay in the two lower ones, the reason for a few hens more than what seems sufficient is that they will take a break every several weeks and with the additional hens you will get eggs even then, and you can give away the extra, so I recommend 8 hens

I got chicks and kept them in a big bin in my
garage.
A lot of people do keep them indoors..
I'm not saying it can't be or shouldn't be done.
Those same people complain quickly about wanting to get them outdoors.

It's just must easier to start them outdoors. ;)

Good points. Meyer Hatchery is 3.5 hours from me and I'll drive there to get the chicks. They don't have a minimum for pickup. I think their minimum for shipping is 3 in April-October and 10 outside of that season. I'm hoping to order and pick up on Presidents' Day in February so I can take advantage of a day off and take the rest of the week off to be home with the new chicks. I figure February-born chicks should be ready to go out to their coop in April. :confused:

Will you have electricity to the coop? If so, you don't have to keep them in your house.

I've never had chickens in my house. I have a dust allergy and chicks generate a shocking amount of dust.
So, I got mine in late February (the weekend after President's Day, in fact) and they went out to the outdoor brooder that day.

I'm in a much different climate but it was bouncing around from 80F to 18F and they were fine though it all. I used the mama heating pad method. There are others brooding in colder temperatures than that, too.

A lot of people do keep them indoors..
I'm not saying it can't be or shouldn't be done.
Those same people complain quickly about wanting to get them outdoors.

It's just must easier to start them outdoors. ;)
Oh gosh, I kind of don't want to spend too much time outside in February.:hmm What about the basement? Is that a possibility? I guess I was operating under the assumption they needed sunlight, though maybe that's not the case with artificial lighting in their brooder?

Integration is not easy at any age.
But If I had to say....chicks.
Easier and safer too...much less chance of bringing in bugs or disease.

They might go out on snow paths, only way to tell is to try it.
Keeping coop and run doors clear of snow is important.
Power for brooding chicks outside and more importantly, keeping water thawed.

There's a ton learn at first.
First year is like getting a sip of water out of a fire hose.
Second year is pretty easy in comparison.

Will you have electricity to the coop? If so, you don't have to keep them in your house.

I've never had chickens in my house. I have a dust allergy and chicks generate a shocking amount of dust.
So, I got mine in late February (the weekend after President's Day, in fact) and they went out to the outdoor brooder that day.

I'm in a much different climate but it was bouncing around from 80F to 18F and they were fine though it all. I used the mama heating pad method. There are others brooding in colder temperatures than that, too.
Good to know. My husband's a master electrician, so I can have electric ANYWHERE. :lol: He's usually all too eager to put his skill set to use. :lau

Oh gosh, I kind of don't want to spend too much time outside in February.:hmm What about the basement? Is that a possibility? I guess I was operating under the assumption they needed sunlight, though maybe that's not the case with artificial lighting in their brooder?
New baby chicks heed heat.
The needing sunlight doesn't really matter at that young age.
It's laying hens that need sunlight.

Tess you are gonna know everything before you even place an order for chicks!
I'm so happy for you!

Back
Top Bottom