How many chickens will fit in this coop?

I'd put no more than 4 in there, assuming the floor dimensions are 4x4. "Mostly just to sleep/lay" means there's exceptions where they might need to be locked in, or choose to stay in, due to weather conditions or some other emergency.
Agreed. I like my animals to have plenty of space though. I don't cram them together like factory birds.

Thank you!!!!

Also for bad weather they can go under the coop.
Well, I looked again and it's got one dimension at 4', but doesn't show the other one?

Still not much space for inclement weather....even if it's blocked from wind.

Curious why you are asking this question, you've been around long enough to know ;)

How many standard sized hens will fit in this one coop. Only the coop, not the run - because I will be extending it greatly. Thank you!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-red-barn-coop.75651/
Edited to add:
-mostly just to sleep and lay eggs
-has 9 right now that seem to be living comfortably
-what is the max amount it can hold?
-homemade, designed by us, etc

I see that it's 4 feet one direction, and it looks square, so I'm assuming 4 feet the other direction. I see 2 roosts, each 4 feet long. I also see 3 nestboxes.

If I apply the usual recommended numbers, I get:

4 hens can live there (during bad weather or other times when they have to be inside.)
That is based on 4 square feet per hen, and 16 square feet of floor space inside the coop.

8 hens can sleep there.
That is based on 1 linear food of roost per hen, and 8 linear feet of roost in the coop.
I do not think more roosts could be added, because if they are underneath they get pooped on, and if they are on the same level they will be too close together or too close to the wall.

12 hens can lay eggs there.
That is based on 1 nestbox for 4 hens. Hens often lay in the same nest, so if one nest is always empty then you know you have enough nests for more hens than you have.

Based on the usual recommendations, you already have too many hens for that coop, both for bad weather and for sleeping. You have plenty of nestboxes.

People keep chickens in many different ways, and in many different kinds of weather, and the individual chickens can have different temperaments that also affect how much space they need.

If you have unusual conditions, and if you are able to keep more chickens in that space, then we are not able to tell how many more you could keep. You are the only one who is actually there to see how it works.

Coop size minus nest area needs to be 4sqft/bird. Run area needs to be 10sqft/bird. Underneath that coop is only big enough of a run area for 1.5 chickens Yes that’s one and a half. In a large or violent storm they will be cranky and could end up fighting with disastrous consequences. 9 birds needs minimally 36sqft inside not including the nest area, and 90sqft in the run area.

I scrolled all the way to the comments... apparently they are well hidden.
There is a drawing that show the 4' width.

I see that it's 4 feet one direction, and it looks square, so I'm assuming 4 feet the other direction.
It looks square in the drawings but not the photos.

Back
Top Bottom