How many chickens will it hold?

McChick21

Chirping
May 5, 2017
Hi! I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to chickens and housing, And i've been thinking of selling eggs. I'd of course start out with a small amount like 40-60 chickens. I plan on making a 8' x 16' coop, It would be 8' tall as well. There would be two roosts each sixteen feet long. and 14 nesting boxes. And what I would want to know is how many birds could I comfortably fit in a coop that size? They would be free ranged to they wouldn't be crammed in a coop/run all day.

About 32. Height isn't as important as square footage.

10X16 would be 40 birds.
We used to have 100 leghorns in a 2 room 30 X 18 building.
I think we only had about 20 nests.

About 32. Height isn't as important as square footage.
Thank you! So I might have to make a few changes then... Also i've been looking at storage hoop sheds and i've been considering getting one of these as the actual coop. This is something I was thinking about getting,
https://sheds.com/shelterlogic-30x2...Af5CenndcaCu2DUVFG34zP8aPqzeW0zEaApyoEALw_wcB I would put it on a cement frame that goes about 4 ft under the ground and comes up 6 ft. Would it be ok to house chickens in a storage hoop shed?

And i've been thinking of selling eggs.
Have you looked into the regulations for selling eggs in your state?
Have you scoped the market(who will buy your eggs) in your area?
40-60 chicken lay a LOT of eggs!

Adding your location to your profile is most helpful ;)
upload_2018-1-22_18-21-46.png

Have you looked into the regulations for selling eggs in your state?
Have you scoped the market(who will buy your eggs) in your area?
40-60 chicken lay a LOT of eggs!

Adding your location to your profile is most helpful ;)
View attachment 1243935
Thank you, I did find a market they would buy my so that's why I would start out with 30-40. Since they go through more than 40 dozen a day and are constantly looking for sellers. And thank you for the step-by-step pic!

Back
Top Bottom