How many chickens will my coop hold?

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
My coop is an 8 by 10. My run is 9 by 18. I have 5 roosting bars that are about 2.5 to 3 feet long and i have 5 nesting boxes. I was thinking this could fit at least 15 hens. How many would it fit in your opinion?

Yep! 15 or 16 hens would fit well! They need a minimum of 10 sq ft per hen in the run! Unless you are free ranging them, and then you could fit about 20 I think!

Sounds about right but be ready to expand, it's a.....CHICKEN MATH ATTACK. OOOH you need more room cause you saw some birds you just had to have
gig.gif

I know nothing about chicken math.. nope.. we are building a new coop cause the original plan was 6 hens. Plenty of eggs right? ha! Then we accidently got up to 30, and then the cochin eggs hatched.. uhmmms, we are over 50 now and the thought pattern is.. if we do it like this.. we can easily add on another of the same size when our wallet is a little more flush..

Oh trust me i know about chicken math. I originally only wanted 2 or 3 hens. I made the mistake of building a coop big enough for about 10 hens so i got 10. This was in August of last year. Since them i hatched a batch of chicks and had no where to put them so i gave them away. This month im working on my new coop and run to double the flock. Now i have 2 duck eggs in the incubator and 6 chicken eggs. I got my whole family hooked and now we want to get some more chickens in the old coop to sell hatching eggs from.
CHICKEN MATH
woot.gif

Anyway thank you for your responses. That helped me a lot!

Back
Top Bottom