How many chickens would you put in this coop?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I purchased a Lifetime Shed which is 5' x 8'...quite roomy........until.......

you go to put all the stuff in it!
gig.gif

By the time I had built and installed my roost bar and poop tray in the one end with ladder/ramp up the one end (waterer and sick pen underneath), only 2 nesting boxes on one side, 2 PVC pipe feeders opposite end of the roost tray wall, pop hole right next to the feeders....

good Lord, there's hardly any room left, and I only have FOUR black australorp ladies!!

For a 4x6 coop? I'd only plan on having at the most 4 birds.

For a 6x8 coop? I'd put 4-6 birds max in there.

Best of luck to you...I know it's a hard decision! Seems like we "chickeneers" are always adding on, changing, etc.!!
hide.gif

As pointed out it does depend on actual floor space. The linked-to picture shows only a few basic necessities. My best guess for the floor space in that picture, assuming it's a 4x8' model, is 26 square feet, counting the area under the roosting bar. Assuming that is correct, I would say 5 birds could comfortably fit in there, assuming they have access to outdoors during the day. You could go even go six and have 4 square feet per bird, which IMO is as high as you would want to go. Four nest boxes are provided which is way more than enough.
Adding feeders, waterers or other items may reduce floor space and increase crowding. Crowding is your enemy.
More space per bird is more sanitary, less stressful, less conflict, more peaceful, more better.
IMO, it comes down to floor space per bird. I prefer a minimum of 4 square feet per bird. I have seen some book-writers and such recommend that you can go as low as two square feet but I think that would encourage stress, conflict, disease and filth.

On the other hand if this coop is used only for sleeping and laying eggs and that's the only time they'll be in there, then I could see adding more roosting bar and allowing more chickens. But I'm uncomfortable in estimating a maximum for those conditions.

The website says 4x8 and 6x8. If the coop Is primarily for sleep as opposed to primary holding, the roosts would be the factor. the roosts need to have enough space between them. I keep them at least 16 inches apart, 10 inches from the wall.

Since you plan to free range all day or big run, suppose you have 12 feet of roosts (3 pieces of 4ft across the width), 10 to 12 birds would be fine. 14 might be a bit too tight. Of course, less would be ok.

A friend has a similar 4x8 coop with 2 8-foot roosts and a large run. 16 happy birds call it home.

I have a similar coop as a second coop for 3 chickens. The specs said it would house 20, but mine would never house more than 6 comfortably.

Thank you all for the info. :) I think at a minimum if I got this, I would ditch the slats and put up two roosting bars at diff levels and eliminate one of the nesting boxes.

Anywhere between 6 and 10 birds. Outdoor space is truly key. You can get away with a smaller coop if you have a larger run. This compensates because the birds will more or less only use the coop to lay and sleep in. With ample roosting space, you can fit plenty of birds. Make sure the ventilation is up to par though, as a lot of birds in a smaller space can increase the chances of illness. Just remember, the bigger the run, the better!

Also, the 6 x 8 is probably a better option, as it will be easier to move in when cleaning. I built a new coop this past summer because I needed more room to move in.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom