How many chicks brooder plate

Usually about half as many chicks as they estimate can fit underneath them for the full time that they'll need the heat, similarly to prefab coops and their optimistic views on how many chickens can live in them. I don't know the square inches per chick off the top of my head, but looking at the dimensions of Brinsea's EcoGlows and halving their chick capacity estimates, it looks like it's roughly 10-12 square inches per chick?

Usually about half as many chicks as they estimate can fit underneath them for the full tme that they'll need the heat, similarly to prefab coops and their optimistic views on how many chickens can live in them. I don't know the square inches per chick off the top of my head, but looking at the dimensions of Brinsea's EcoGlows and halving their chick capacity estimates, it looks like it's roughly 10-12 square inches per chick?
Thank you. So for 10 or less chicks I’m assuming a plate advertised as covering 20 chicks would be good. 👍🏻

Agreed.😊 Love the Brinsea Ecoglow. I have several in 2 sizes. Definitely covers only about half as many chicks as advertised for more than just a few days. This is the smaller one the 600 (8 x 12 inches) and these are 2 day old Silkies. There are 11 chicks here, room for a few more at best. They do specify in the description “room for 20 newly hatched chicks”
E704513F-62A0-4F67-BC69-86702306DE06.jpeg

Also, our first experience with a brooder plate didn't go well.
Always have at least three sides, or all sides, open so no chick is trapped under it. The underside of the plate should not be too hot to the touch! Ours was, and when I turned it over and put a thermometer on it, 120F! We needed that extra temperature regulater that Premier also sold to moderate the plate temp.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom