How many chicks can a banty hen cover?

JaneandLizzy

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 26, 2008
How many bantam chicks can one bantam hen keep warm?

We have nine bantam chicks under a light standard, but she is rough with them, and scratches in a dangerous way, so we are about to try to switch mommas. Not sure if bantam hen is big enough for nine.

*edited title for clarity and relevence.**

Last edited by a moderator:
The hen that is with them is actually a Silkie and banty cross, we don't know why she is so big. Takes after her dad, I guess.

Is the bantam broodie, if not she will not accept them either, I am assuming that the one that they are under hatched them. they must be broodie in order for them to want to keep chicks otherwise you are wasteing your time, and probably killing chicks in the process. Why not just put them under a heat lamp, and raise them without hen??
hu.gif

Yes, she is broody, of course! The chicken that has them did not hatch them, but has accepted them. She is just dangerous to them because of her scratching, and when she is upset that we are near, she pecks their heads lightly. The bantam we want to put with them is tried and true, but she may not be big enough for 9 chicks.

I would like to know how many chicks one bantam hen can handle.

Last edited:
What kind of banty is she? That can make a difference in how many she can cover.

What kind of chicks are they? Large fowl...bantam?

What happened to the hen who hatched them...or did you incubate them....or buy them?

She is a tried and true Buff Japanese hen that we are about to put over the chicks. They chicks are bantams. They are mostly small bantams.

We bought the chicks, and successfully put them under the large hen, but don't think it wise to continue with her if the bantam will take the chicks.

Wish I knew the answer to this. I have a little silkie Serama hen who could only barely sit on 5 eggs. Two have been discarded after candling, and I'm hoping if the remaining three hatch that she can keep three chicks warm. Your banty may be larger than her, so I'm guessing four or five. Wouldn't you be able to tell if you put them with her? You could let her raise as many as she could handle and brood the remaining chicks indoors. Best wishes!
big_smile.png

Personally I think nine might be a bit to much for her. I have had a banty that had six and that was quite a bunch for her when they started to get a little bigger. She was an OEGB so she would have been about the same size as yours. You could give it a try to see but again I am not to sure on it.

Back
Top Bottom