How many chicks can a broody raise?

This is what I do with mine. After a couple of weeks I will let them out with Momma while the other hens are already locked up (early) for the night.
I also let everybody see everybody else through wire at all times. As the youngsters get older and larger I will allow everybody out at the same time, with me watching.
We usually have a few hen fights, cause somebody got too close to a chick/pullet.
My broodys usually take care of their babies at least 2-3 months.

The Easter Egger hen in the photo has 26 chicks. 7 she hatched herself, plus 19 that i ordered direct from a hatchery. Pic was taken in early july 2020, when outside temp was in low 90s. Mama hen didnt need to keep the chicks covered during the day at at all, & only partially covered at night. I assume u have already made your decision on how many chicks to give your broody. May still be too cold where you are to give her all 25 chicks. But yes, in heat of summer she would do just fine raising 25.

Attachments

• 20200709_071345.jpg
    20200709_071345.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 11
We did it. All 23 are with the broody now and she's sitting on them all. The brooder babies will have to learn to crowd under broody, who does an excellent pancake impersonation.

Yay that's great you did it! You will discover the chicks quickly grow too big to all fit under her. But that should be ok, unless your current temps are extremely cold, since the chicks will help keep each other warm, generate some heat themselves, & feather fast.

Back
Top Bottom