How many chicks can a Mamma Raise?

Our temps here are in the upper 80 to Lower 90s. I've got a Cochin hen that I gave 24 week old chicks too. They are now 5 weeks old and still with the hen. Haven't lost any.

Lovinlife - THAT is one of the greatest pictures of a broodie of all time! It needs to be made into a poster. You need to see about getting a copywrite on the photo. If you make it into a poster - put me on the list as wanting one. The picture tells the entire broodie story in such simple terms. Fantastic photo.

Joni

Quote:
I stole your picture. I sure hope you do not mind. We lost a hen just like this one to a hawk when she defended her babies from the beast.

We sure do miss the bird. She was always friendly and very protective of her clutch.

I have a few of her babies left. The hawk got two of them before she could fend the darn thing off of her babies.

I have a nice true to breed red jungle fowl roo from her hatch. Her only daughter just hatched out 9 gorgeous chicks and they are in protective housing.

Isn't the pic awesome? When my friend posted it on a horse forum, I asked her if I could copy it. It's amazing and definitely tells a story. I'm going to frame it.

Sorry to the OP for stealing the thread....

I have a game hen right now that just hatched out 11 three days ago. They all seem to be able to get under her with no problem. She was sitting on 12 originally and the 11 hatched. I dont know if breed counts for anything but also just had an Old English Game hen hatch out 5 of her own too tho I do think 20 would be too much on any hen alone.

Back
Top Bottom