how many chicks can my silkie handle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristysedai, Aug 8, 2014.

1. kristysedai

kristysedai Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    We just got 17 silkie chicks and have them in the brooder. We are waiting to get rid of some when we find out if they are hens or roos. We have one silkie hen that is broody and I was wondering if we should let her take care of some of the chicks? If we should how many should we give her and how do we do it?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She probably couldn't cover 17 eggs but 17 chicks may be doable. I'd stick perhaps 5 under her at night and if she accepts them then add 5 more at a time.

3. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    how old are the chicks and how long has the broody been broody? has has the broody raised chicks before?

if the chicks are more the 2 days old they might not take to her or her to them and she could kill/severely injure the chicks if she doesn't like them and if their to old they may not bond with her and wont see her as mom.

if their young enough i say you could give her 4 or 5 babies and she should be able to raise that many well but i would watch her super close to make sure she fully accepts them as her own and doesn't try to hurt them.

1 person likes this.
  4. kristysedai

kristysedai Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    She has been broody for over a year. If there are eggs she usually sits on them until we throw her off. She has never raised chicks. The chicks are three days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by