How many chicks is too few?

I can’t find any information on the minimum number of chicks to raise in a group.

You don't want to raise a chick alone, so absolute minimum two.
But sometimes a chick will die, and if you only had two, that leaves you with one.
So I would start with at least three, so if one dies you still have two.
Personally, I would prefer an even bigger group (6+), but I see why you don't want to do that right now.

Our current Silkie is brooding and sitting on 3 eggs, so I’m hesitant to add much more than that due to space accommodations in our coop.

You could just keep whatever females the Silkie hatches.

Or you could buy a few chicks right when the Silkie's eggs hatch, and add them to her brood. That way you have one group of chicks rather than two.

Adding one or two female chicks to the Silkie's group would probably work better than trying to raise a few chicks separately while also letting the Silkie raise her chicks.

I've always raised my birds and pears because it's a lot easier for them to adapt and survive when they're closely bonded to one another as well as it slows overpopulation of the coop because I don't kill my birds when they stop laying and I'll just get two new ones every 8 months or so. Then again I'm very overprotective of my chicks and I've only ever lost one chick to a predator. He absolute minimum is two if you're going to be integrated into a flock

I would get at least 3 chicks, so if one dies, you have time to replace it and the other 2 aren't stressed.

But I think handsome needs at least 1 more hen definitely since the silkie looks like she's starting to lose some feathers from breeding. Some males do good with just one or two, but generally, the more the better

Back
Top Bottom