How many dozen should i have on hand ????

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I want to put a sign at the end of my driveway saying eggs for sale. I dont want to buy another fridge.I am out in the country of course i dont have alot of traffic. But some. I was wondering how many dozen of eggs i should keep ahead so i wouldnt run out everyday.?Then after about a month i should have more of idea.
smile.png

I like to have 5 dozen available. Most of the people who stop want 2 dozen, but I have people who always want more.

I wish I had thought to ask that question before I advertised my eggs for sale to my office mates. I had 2.5 dozen in the fridge, and my 7 hens were laying 6 eggs per day consistently, so I thought maybe a few takers would help us prevent the glut of eggs I felt sure would be overwhelming our fridge shortly.

However, my co-workers went nuts (I work in the city but live in the country) and I got orders for 9 (!) dozen! That same night, the girls only laid 4 eggs, and it's been hit and miss since. (I think they're on strike, or trying to unionize, or something.) I have only delivered four dozen so far (in a week) and am currently back ordered until the second week of June (that's hopeful). My husband is feeling shorted on eggs (we didn't eat any this weekend). We need more chickens!

I hope no one wants me to supply every week...I'll never catch up!

smile.png

I had 20 doz when I hung my first sign and they were sold out in 2 days.
ep.gif
I took the sign down and never hung it up again. A lot depends on how busy your road is and the demand for farm fresh eggs.

Jody

We have a little farmstore and we sell our eggs out there. Everytime I put a dozen out there they are gone in a flash, sometimes I stalk up and put about 15-20 dozen for a weekend and they will all be gone by the friday night....it gets so bad that poeple will actually go into our coop and collect they're own eggs (only when I tell them its alright) They sell like crazy and even at $4.00/dozen.

I would say stalk up all week and then put your sign out one day a week selling what you have collected..
smile.png
The women down the road does this and she gets a lot of business doing it this way because people know when to expect the eggs, and you can' blame 'em cause farm fresh eggs are so yummy!

Back
Top Bottom