how many drake to how many ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladybug4ut1, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    i have 2 ducks and two drakes and now one drake will not leave the other drake alone...he keeps biting at his neck and now i have only one in the pen with the ducks and the other ne is outside the pen running around while we are home. should i get rid of the other drake and just keep one per 2 ducks...please let me know what the ratio should be.

thanks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes you only need 1 drake to 2 hens.the only way you can keep both is build another pen.an put a pair in each pen.

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Agreed. That seems fair 1 duck to 1 drake. Then, for fun, you can switch the drakes every once in a while.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have 7 drakes and 4 ducks. It's pretty funny. Half the time the drakes are trying to mate eachother which is confusing for everyone involved.

The hens aren't showing any signs of being overbred, or I would pull a few out obviously. Everyone is getting along well.

5. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 drakes and 1 duck but the drakes are brothers and dont have any problems. 1 drake and the duck has partnered up and the other just minds his own. But they all do mate together when the loner gets the chance.

6. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Here's the info I found in my BarnYard in your BackYard book, hope it helps..

Optimum Mating Ratios

Duck Breed Ducks per Drake (1 male)

Call 1-2
    Campbell 4-6
    Mallard 1-2
    Muscovy 5-7
    Pekin 2-5
    Rouen 1-2
    Runner 4-6

7. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Greyfields just raises very gentlemanly drakes is all. [​IMG]

Most of our drakes are siblings, but when given the chance they will gang rape the ducks and start pecking at her eyes. They will also fight among themselves sometimes.

I'd recommend doing like we did -- keep them together until you encounter problems and then separate them. If you don't ever encounter problems then you are lucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by