1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many Drakes and how many Ducks should I have?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rissa12xoxo, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Rissa12xoxo

Rissa12xoxo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Grundy, Virginia
    I am thinking about buying some ducks. And was wondering how many males and females I should have. These will be pets. I was thinking about getting 3 Rouens, and 3 Welsh Harlequins. I was thinking 1 male Rouen and 1 male Welsh Harlequin and the rest females?? :)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Drakes need at least 2-4 ducks each this keep them happy and protects the ducks from being over mated. The more ducks you can get the better it will be for the ducks.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Welcome! ideally? 2-3 ducks per drake(the more even better!). So if you want 6, buy 1 drake and 5 ducks that will make for happier ducks and less stress for everyone including you!

[​IMG]

I keep quite a drake heavy flock here, it's not for everyone and requires massive watching and space, drakes can and will fight they will also tag team and gang up on females.. it's a tricky balance, ideally i would have 1 drake but that is just not how it's ever worked out so i juggle.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Rissa12xoxo

Feb 5, 2014
    Grundy, Virginia
    Thanks so much! I think getting one Drake and 5 females should be good! :D I can't wait to get my ducklings. It will be my first time ever raising waterfowl, and I couldn't be more excited!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is a steep learning curve, and one of the best things I have ever done.

If you have not yet, please look over the Stickies at the top of the Duck Forum and especially the one on Raising Ducklings.

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook are good, too.

1 person likes this.
  6. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    How exciting! I think you will really enjoy raising ducks, they are very cute, funny and, if raised with a lot of TLC, will be very loyal. Good luck!

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    One drake will make things better and simpler for you and your girls. But ultimately, think about how much space you have with your housing as well and do follow the suggestions above. :)

8. Rissa12xoxo

Feb 5, 2014
    Grundy, Virginia
    Thanks everyone! I will post them whenever I get them. I have done a lot of research, but any advice you have for me is much appreciated! :) You can never have to much advice hehe ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by