How many duck eggs do you get? What do you do with excess?

Completely understand. I have not been very successful at selling. I am not a great self promoter. I put it on craigslist and what every sell wastes less egg and helps with feed. I don't think my Welsh harlequin lay that many eggs.
I have also been thinking I should look at other breeds. Runners are just so cute plus good foragers. :)

Of course now that I've looked at a few more sources, the number of eggs each breed lays is all over the place.
qb GIF

I have also been thinking I should look at other breeds. Runners are just so cute plus good foragers. :)
They are pretty cute. I just recently added 3 to my flock. They are some of the least social out of my flock right now, but they will still take food from my hand. They are good foragers, and one of mine especially is very dedicated to bug catching.

Of course now that I've looked at a few more sources, the number of eggs each breed lays is all over the place.
qb GIF
You will find different values depending on the breeding colony. Like Welsh harlequin can potentially lay 300 eggs or more. However, metzer's colony does not lay nearly as many eggs as that. So they will be all over the place.

If I have extra, I sell them to my neighbors across the street or friends at church. I do have craigslist ads for eggs as well, but I'm pretty rural so no bites as of yet (that didn't require me jumping through hoops).
As you know, I recently sold six of my female runners because my flock was too large. I was overrun with eggs. They lay so well.

If I have extra, I sell them to my neighbors across the street or friends at church. I do have craigslist ads for eggs as well, but I'm pretty rural so no bites as of yet (that didn't require me jumping through hoops).
As you know, I recently sold six of my female runners because my flock was too large. I was overrun with eggs. They lay so well.
That's what I'm afraid of - them laying too well. How did you like the runners? Besides eggs?

That's what I'm afraid of - them laying too well. How did you like the runners? Besides eggs?
I have greatly enjoyed having them. Compared to the pekins (only other duck breed I have) they are a bit more nervous, but I got all my ducks full grown, which would definitely affect how comfortable they are around people. They are very entertaining to watch run around the yard. Great bug catchers!

I would definitely get more muscovy's if I were you. We love ours and in your case they are great because they don't lay a ton! I don't know your location, but we sell muscovy's in Va if you are interested :)

We get 3-4 duck eggs per day most days now. Mixed flock of mallard derived ducks (8 ladies). Between the duck eggs and the 48 chicken eggs I get somewhat regularly from my neighbor, we have eggs FOR DAYS. I have started to freeze eggs to use later - mostly to feed to my dogs, but also for human consumption (baking). I've also started baking a lot. And we eat them for breakfast. Haven't thrown any away yet, but my chest freezer is filling up!

Back
Top Bottom