How Many Ducks per Drake

Gilmore Farms

Chirping
Dec 12, 2015
So, I hatched out 3 ducks earlier in the year but they all turned out to be Drakes. I was hatching them hoping there would be 2 hens, but all three turned out to be drakes. They have been together since they hatched and they are 17 weeks old. They don't fight and are always together. I am wondering how many ducks I need to get if I keep all 3 drakes. I would really like to keep them all but I cant have very many more ducks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

If you only want pets Ducks? Do not add any hens....The drakes will be fine with no hens.
Once you add hens things get complicated.
This works for us. One Drake for three hens. One drake, one hen....One drake six hens....Depends on housing and keeping them separated during breeding season. Two young Drakes will get along till the hormones kick in if a hen is around.

No hens is my suggestion.

I need them for production. I have there parents and have been selling there eggs. I need more eggs because I have more customers than I have eggs for. I want to keep at least 1 of these drake because this is my first time hatching them. They are khaki Campbell's and there parents are great producers. If I can't find anymore Campbell's to purchase what would you suggest for high egg production?

I need them for production. I have there parents and have been selling there eggs. I need more eggs because I have more customers than I have eggs for. I want to keep at least 1 of these drake because this is my first time hatching them. They are khaki Campbell's and there parents are great producers. If I can't find anymore Campbell's to purchase what would you suggest for high egg production?
I hope someone else that raises Ducks for eggs can answer?
The ones I have are more meat and ornamental breeds.

Golden 300 layers produce some of the highest egg yeilds. We have 7 Goldens that are 1 and 1/2 years old we get 6 to 7 eggs a day. Welsh Harlequins are also pretty good egg producers. FYI eggs from these tend to be larger then KC eggs.

Last edited:
Golden 300s are also hybrids, so their laying ability (and coloration) might not be passed to their ducklings. Khaki Campbells lay just about as well on smaller farms, but if you can't find any the 300s have a great reputation. Indian Runners might be another option, but I know that Metzer's website says that modern runners may not be great layers anymore due to breeder focus on 'show quality' rather than egg production. That being said, our runner girl has given us an egg a day for the past few months, and even laid into winter without us using any special lighting.

I'd recommend visiting the Metzer Farms website; they have tons of information on how to maximize egg production and they even have a breed chart that tells you which ducks lay the most eggs. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom