How many eggs a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissyMoo, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    I am new to the whole chicken thing but I was reading and it said that most chickens lay one egg a day is that true?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    most will. some take a day or 2 break and do it. it depends on the breed, age and season. My moms BR roos stopped laying for 2 months during the winter.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It depends on a few factors, breed and individual chicken. Some lay faithfully every day, some every other, some only a couple a week. It depends on what kind of chicken you get. I have Buff orpingtons that lay every day and Polish girls that lay every day for a few days and then skip a day...so they basically lay 4-5 a week.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If you get any production or dual purpose breeds, then yes, this is typically true.. A hens first year is their prime egg laying, it usually slows a little after that. They may be still very productive, but their first year is prime.

Many breeds will also go "out of season" or stop for the winter.. Some breeds are very good at laying all year, some better for laying in winter, some just lay spring, summer, and fall. It just depends on the breed/strain you get and the nutrition provided.

Usually the more ornamental breeds will not lay as much, there are a few exceptions.

-Kim

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:You had ROO's laying eggs! :p

My best birds lay 6 a week, with my older ones doing one every two or three days. It decreases with age.

6. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Hi MissyMoo, welcome the chicken yard [​IMG]

The answer is yes, any kind of bird lays only one egg per day. That does not mean that you will get one egg EVERY day tho. As the others have said, that varies.

PS, i will tell you up front that you will get no sympathy from anyone in this forum for the addiction you are about to aquire.

WE ALL HAVE IT !!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:ROOS Laying but they stopped for the winter, why? did they fly south for the winter??? will they be back soon??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Y'all leave hypno alone..had a brain fart [​IMG] , we all do sometimes.. I think the funniest thing about that post was that hypno came back and edited without fixin that.. My roos haven't started layin yet.. must not be gettin enough protein..

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Y'all leave hynofrog alone.. he had a brain fart [​IMG] , we all do sometimes.. I think the funniest thing about that post was that he came back and edited without fixin that.. My roos haven't started layin yet.. must not be gettin enough protein..

Maybe the roos laying is his story and hes stickin to it. [​IMG]

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by