1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many eggs before hen goes broody--

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennings Gamefowl, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    how many eggs do I have to keep in the next box before my game hen goes broody..... so far she has 6 in there now...help

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

No telling, it`s always up to the individual. Age, brood experience, etc, etc. Game hens are real good, but the number could be anything from here on. Good luck. Oh yeah, be sure to protect the eggs from freezing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    That depends on the hen. No two are alike. She'll set when she feels there are enough eggs. Some chickens never go broody and others won't until two or three years of age.

4. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I usually mark a couple of eggs and leave them in the nest.Take the other eggs she lays and put them in a safe place and when she go's broody take the old eggs out and set her with the new ones. If she's the broody type anywhere from 10 to 15.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd recommend using fake eggs, like golf balls, plastic easter eggs, wooden eggs instead of leaving raw eggs that can go bacterial and explode.

There is no guarantee any hen will go broody no matter how many eggs you have under her. I wish it were that easy.

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

No amount of eggs will make or cause a hen go broody. They either park their butts in a nest or don't. A broody hen will brood on an empty nest if she decides she wants to set.

7. conwaymomma

conwaymomma New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    i guess my two game hens are in the broody mood. they've quit laying eggs and sit on my other two girl's eggs. What can i do to get them to snap out of it? i don't have a rooster, so there's no chance they will hatch babies, now what?

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

You can try pulling her off the nest, and closing her up in a bare dog cage or some such (open wire kind, so it's not anything like a nest) for most if not all the day. Giving her water and feed of course... by keeping her away from a nest it -might- dissuade her. It can be within the coop, but not near the nests.... You may have to do it several days in a row, you can put her up on the roost at night... It might work, might not.

Or you could get some fertile eggs and let them hatch em! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by