How many eggs can a Buff Orpington hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4roosandahen, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    How many eggs can a Buff Orpington hatch? If I was to order eggs what are the chances of her hatching them? How many could I put under her? [​IMG]

I am a hatchoholic I think!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Stephenie

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The most I ever put under mine is 12, and mine are big girls....

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    First Q is - Is she broody now?

4. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    yes, she is acting broody. Started yesterday.

5. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I have had one that is acting a little broody-ish. But then she hops off the nest and acts normal for a while? I don't get it. Anyway, while she was on the nest she was covering 10 eggs with no problems. I think she could easily handle a dozen, and maybe even up to 14. If they were bantam eggs, and she is a large hen (being a buff orpington, she should be! lol) she could easily handle 16 bantam eggs, and 12-14 regular sized eggs. Good luck with her! And please cross your fingers that mine gets a little more serious! LOL

6. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    P.S. Be sure that she is in a deep nest. She can handle more if the nest is deep. I hadn't even thought of that until I read it on here recently, can't remember which thread it was though.

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I breed minature silkies (I call them minature becuase they are smaller than bantams)
    and right now I have one sitting on ten eggs!!! If a tiny Minature silkie can hatch that many, imagine a Buff Orpington!!! Thier secret is to puff up thier feathers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by