how many eggs can a chicken lay in a day?

Ardizzone7

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Redkey, IN
I have 8-10 laying hens. I say that because several have just started and I do not know who is and who is not laying yet. I usually get 8-10 eggs a day. Yesterday I only got 5. The number was a litttle low but it is winter so I didn't worry too much. This morning, when my daughter went out to feed them she saw 1 egg in the nesting boxes so she just left it. She went back out around 4 pm and collected 14 eggs. Since we do noth have 14 hens is it possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs in a day?

It's POSSIBLE. Very very very unlikely though. What kind of chickens do you have? It's more likely for young, very productive hens.

I have a RIR, 2 ISA Brown, and 7 Americanas. The Americana have just started laying in the last 2-3 weeks. They are all under a year old.

It sounds pretty unlikely for you to have 10 hens and get 14 eggs. Maybe you missed some from ealier? Or you daughter is pulling a new years prank....

I don't know........ The only other thing I can think of is that we have a duck who also lays in the nexting boxes and she tucks the other hens eggs in the straw sometimes. Maybe they were in the straw this morning then got uncovered sometime today.

Recently my grandmother had a barred rock that had a really good week. One day she laid 4 eggs the next day 3 then the rest of the week was laying 2 a day. She was her only hen at the time so is how it is easy to figure out it was her. Pretty cool. Think the world record for one chicken was 8 eggs in one day.

In the 60 years my grandmothers has had chickens she said this was only the 2nd time she has ever gotten 4 from one chicken in one day. Normally it is only 1 and occasionally 2 if you are lucky... But it IS possible. Which I think is the coolest thing ever!!

Back
Top Bottom