How many eggs does a hen lay per day?

Wow, so strange people know so little about what they eat.... one thing I like to ask people eating ham, what part of the pig they are eating, most dont know, so I enjoy tell them its pig butt.

12 aday, wow that one ever 2 hours.......

Quote:
It takes 24 hours for a hen to completely cycle. Some hens 23 hours, but a general statement is 24 hours per day will result in approximately 1 egg. Each day, the cycle starts later and later. Eventually, the hen will "skip" a day. This "skip" is known as the end of a "clutch". The longer a hen lays, the larger her clutch will be.

thumbsup.gif
23 hours reason hens dont lay same time every day...

no i didnt catch what they said was the number one answer but i do hope it was 1, the worst part was that when the person said 6 eggs a day there was like 10 people out of 100 that said the same answer, let me go look it up on the internet

No, not stupid, just uninformed. You could call it ignorant, but that sounds insulting. There are many things in the world I am uninformed about, therefore ignorant. Before I kept chickens I don't think I really gave much thought as to how many eggs a hen could lay in one day. Having watched many Merrie Melody cartoons where the chickens sing & dance & lay lots of eggs at once I might have said 6 or 12 myself.

I'm now part of a local Poultry Fanciers' Association that mans the Poultry Tent at our county Fair. I really enjoy spending time there answering visitors' questions about chickens. There really are a lot of folks who think a hen can lay more than one egg a day, and I like to inform them about what a miraculous & complicated process it is for a bird to produce each egg. They go away with lots more respect for chickens, and the eggs they have to eat.

Sometimes I'll stand in front of the dairy case with my kids and point to allllll the dozens & dozens of eggs in cartons there. "Just think" I tell them "that's a whole day's work for hundreds of individual hens!"

Back
Top Bottom