How many eggs for bantam broody?

I ended up getting a Bantam chick from a standard size hen in a medium size egg. Has that ever happen to anyone?
Your egg may have come from a young LF female.... but Was the contributing rooster a bantam? As hens age, their eggs get bigger. Pullet (young chicken) eggs are smaller & may hatch out smaller/weaker chicks when compared to a full adult hen's offspring.

Last edited:
Your egg may have come from a young LF female.... but was the contributing rooster a bantam? As hens age, their eggs get bigger. Pullet (young chicken) eggs are smaller & may hatch our smaller/weaker chicks when compared to a full adult hen's offspring.

No Bantam roosters available. Eggs were obtained from my own hens...all have been laying for about a year now. 1 Australorp, one white Orpington and 1 EE. One Standard size rooster from next door who paid my girls a visit. I saved and stored my eggs up to ten days and placed 14 eggs in the bator. At day 7, 2 were infertile after candling. 12 remained with 11 hatching! Best hatch I've ever had. In my pic...the upper left was all black (assuming Australorp) Lower right was pea-wee.

0215181321c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom