How many eggs should I let her lay before I realize she will not go broody

Incubus4502

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2016
I have been letting eggs accumulate in the nest box, the one my splash Maran uses. It was twelve as of yesterday, with a few non Maran eggs I put in there on days she did not lay an egg. At one point do I realize that she isn't going to sit on those eggs at all. thirteen? fifteen? Now???

She is having some different behavior last night she roosted outside the coop. I have a small flock, the three oldest I started out in the coop so they tend to go there at night, except the mother hen, occasionally. Other chickens I added don't bother to go in the coop at all, they hang out in the run on a roost. So the Maran stayed outside on the roost for the first time ever last night.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
marans are a breed from a town in france named marans so even when refrerring to one its always marans .you may know this i was thankful to learn it.hope you get that hen to go broody i am in the same situation my experiance is the second year seems to promote sitting on eggs ....goodluck with your marans hen and godspeed.:p

Last edited:
Oh okay. I read somewhere else about Marans, I didn't realize it was a town name. The plural should be Maranses then :)

I did just order an incubator, so this will be back up because I'm pretty sure the eggs are fertilized....

If she doesn't show signs of already being broody, then allowing eggs to accumulate in the nest will not trigger her to go broody.
A truly broody hen will sit in the nest box for days even without eggs in it.
You have to wait for a hen to go broody and then save eggs (unwashed, room temp) for 2-4 days and then place them all under her at once.
She will set until they hatch.
But you have to do it on her schedule!

I assume you have a rooster, right?

Back
Top Bottom