How many eggs will a silkie lay before sitting on them?

cmorg

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
Our silkie hen is laying her first clutch, she has laid 8 eggs so far, all in the same spot in a simple looking nest of hay.

I know they're supposed to be good sitters, but 8 eggs so far and she still isn't sitting, how many eggs before she starts to sit? Is there anything I can do to get her to sit?

sutillman

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
south georgia
Mine layed I think 10 or 12 before she finally started sitting. Of course that was here first clutch. Now she'll sit on the first one anybody lays!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

australorpchick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Canyon Lake, TX
They don't have to lay any. Air will work just fine. One of mine tries to hatch pine shavings.

How old is your hen? My first broody silkie was about 8 months old and then the other two saw and figured it was the new in thing and followed suit.

The other day, another member was able to coax a couple of silkies by putting them in a pen, on top of eggs, when it was dark and the hens were asleep. They woke up and stayed there.

Last edited:

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
Sometimes they'll lay 1 or 2, sometimes they'll lay for months or a year before they go broody. They are individuals and theres no set date or number of eggs before :)
I have a flock of Silkies, they all do their own thing, in their own time.

Top Bottom