1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs will a silkie lay before sitting on them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmorg, Oct 8, 2009.

1. cmorg

cmorg New Egg

Aug 23, 2009
    Our silkie hen is laying her first clutch, she has laid 8 eggs so far, all in the same spot in a simple looking nest of hay.

I know they're supposed to be good sitters, but 8 eggs so far and she still isn't sitting, how many eggs before she starts to sit? Is there anything I can do to get her to sit?

2. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Mine layed I think 10 or 12 before she finally started sitting. Of course that was here first clutch. Now she'll sit on the first one anybody lays![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    They don't have to lay any. Air will work just fine. One of mine tries to hatch pine shavings.

How old is your hen? My first broody silkie was about 8 months old and then the other two saw and figured it was the new in thing and followed suit.

The other day, another member was able to coax a couple of silkies by putting them in a pen, on top of eggs, when it was dark and the hens were asleep. They woke up and stayed there.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I have a Wyandotte bantam trying to hatch pine shavings at the moment. She has pulled all her chest feathers out and added them to the shavings to help keep them warm!!

5. proffie floffie

proffie floffie New Egg

Jun 22, 2015
    My little silkie hen is up to 5 eggs, this is her first clutch, super excited!

6. Dalqueen

Dalqueen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    How long should I wait to see if my silkie goes broody

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sometimes they'll lay 1 or 2, sometimes they'll lay for months or a year before they go broody. They are individuals and theres no set date or number of eggs before :)
    I have a flock of Silkies, they all do their own thing, in their own time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by