How many feeders and waterers do you all have out?

ginormous chicken

Songster
9 Years
Jan 18, 2011
Elverta, California
Hi everyone. I was reading the new Backyard Poulty mag. (Great mag. if you don't already read it!) Under the article "Ideal Coop" it says that on hot days to use multiple waterers. Today was 68*F (Yes, people in Texas, read it and weep!
ep.gif
j/k) It is getting warmer here in California. How many do you guys put out? One in the coop and one in the exterior run? What if you don't have a big exterior run? Do you put on in the free range area?

Quote:
weather here in sunny Cali in LA is 75 today and im have two feeders and a large water out and clean everyday in the morning my seramas chicken love being out all day long

One 20L food feeder and one 100L pond made out of some old stuff put together.
tongue.png

(Oh and the food roosters have their food/waterers and the isolation cage has one small 9"x9" tin of each)

Last edited:
I have 10 pens and every pen gets 2 feeders and 2 waters (each pen has between 5 and 10 hens and 1 roo). That gives everyone a chance to eat and drink without the more dominate girls running off the younger ones.

I came into a bunch of auger style feedes from a closed down chicken house. Full to the rim they will hold 1 gallon of feed or 1 gallon of water. I fill the waters to the brim and the feed about 1/2 way up to lower the waste.
he.gif

I also got the cages used to hang them, I convereted the hangers to work with chains and ropes. All feeders are hanging @ back level to the shortest bird.

My pens are outside so in the winter I keep the waters on the ground to help with the freezing. (This winter there has been ALOT of ice breaking nad refilling.)
barnie.gif

Only bad point is the water freezes and is hard to get out with the cages on so I take the cages off the waters.

When the waters are hung they have a tendency to freeze a whole lot faster, on the ground it takes longer than even when sitting on a 4 inch block.

thumbsup.gif

Right now I have one waterer in the coop that I rotate at least once a day because of freezing temperatures. I have three feeders inside the coop for 8 chickens so that even the lowest on the pecking order never has to go hungry. The feeders always have food in them. In the summer I keep both waterers out in the pen full of water.

12 chickens, 2 nipples waterers (2 gallon bucket in coop and 5 gallon bucket outside). One wall feeder in the coop that holds 10lbs, refilled every other day.

My 5 gallon has a deicer and the 2 gallon has been frozen solid since December
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom