How Many Goose Eggs Should A Bantam Cochin Be Able To Cover ?

RAREROO

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
I am planning on getting 3 goose eggs but I've never seen one in person so I don't know how big they actually are. Would a bantam cochin hen be able to cover 3 or at least 2 ?

Thanks

Clint,

I took a picture to help you with the egg size. The eggs from the left are a juvenile runner duck, large hen, jumbo hen, regular duck, and an average egg from the goose.

thanks so much for the photo... I have been wondering about bantam broods and goose eggs too! I have a trio of buff geese, but they have not started laying yet. I am hoping soonish?? When do they lay, usually? Early spring or late Spring?
Actually the egg does not look as big as I had feared!

My banties refuse to sit on goose eggs. Even Ying the Ninja Brooder. I think it scares them to hatch something that's bigger than them from the start.
hide.gif

thanks so much for the photo... I have been wondering about bantam broods and goose eggs too! I have a trio of buff geese, but they have not started laying yet. I am hoping soonish?? When do they lay, usually? Early spring or late Spring?
Actually the egg does not look as big as I had feared!

The Buff geese should be slightly larger than my Pomeranians, so their eggs may be larger as well. When they start laying seems to be tied to where you live and maybe the breed? Mine started the last day of November, but folks further north are still waiting for their geese to start. I was like a kid at Christmas looking for my first goose egg every morning till I finally found one...lol. My girl typically likes to lay during the afternoon and uses the duck house or stuffs herself into the cage where my broody mama hens live and lays there: Silly goose.

I thought that the biggest problem with any chicken hatching out water fowl eggs is that they don't keep the eggs at the proper humidity? Is this not a problem after all?

When we used chicken hens to brood goose or duck eggs, we would always put a slab of sod in the bottom of the nest. In addition we would periodically move the hen and mist the eggs with water. I would be concerned that a bantam hen would be unable to turn the goose eggs - we always used standard hens.

I thought that the biggest problem with any chicken hatching out water fowl eggs is that they don't keep the eggs at the proper humidity? Is this not a problem after all?
I had a chicken hatch a clutch of duck eggs before just fine, and I had a duck hatch a clutch of turkey eggs And thank you all for your responces but I've decided not to let her try to set them, she's already been setting almost 4 weeks on her own eggs that didn't hatch for some reason and. I don't watch to make her set for another 6 weeks for just two goose eggs. So ill let her have some duck eggs that I have in the bator now when they start hatching in a week or so or ill just put the goose eggs in the bator. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom