How Many Guineas

Sparklecoon

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
North Carolina
When we finally get out to our new house I plan on getting some guineas. With four dogs I really worry about ticks and with 5 acres (4 of them being field) I want to find a natural solution to keeping the blood sucker population down. I've heard guineas are fairly low maintence and love to eat pests.

My question is how many to start with? Also will they go back to a home base (coop) at night like chickens? Will they stay close to home as I would like to let them free range?

Ok, mine are only three weeks old so I don't have any real experience with Guineas yet.

I've learned that the more you have the better, especially if you are going to have them with your chickens. People have said that having 20 or 30 will keep them from messing with your chickens. (Remember, this is what I've learned here - no personal experience yet.) I only have five so I may regret that later as mine are going to start with my chickens.

I do know that you are supposed to keep them locked up in the coop for at least two months before letting them free range. And, many people say that they start by only letting a couple of them free range so that they stay close to the others that are still locked up - they do this for I believe a couple of weeks before actually letting them all out together.

I know there are some great Guineas people here and I'm sure they will jump in and give better advice.

I am thinking about getting a dozen or so guinea eggs to set under my broody turkey who has been sitting an empty nest for nearly two weeks and let her raise them.

I started with 12 and you could really tell the difference in bug population. I think you need more than less if keeping with chickens. MOST that have had problems with mixing the two only had a few guineas. They seem to bully themselves, but if they dont have other guineas to harrass they turn on the chickens, and from what I have heard they dont fight fair. They will gang up on one chicken. I started mine with chicks, and never did the 2 month thing, mine have freeranged since about 4 weeks, only keept inside till old enough not to need heat all the time.

I have 4 acres and they tend to patrol the church next doors 3+

Mine do return nightly to the "chicken" coop, and I have only lost one to preditor, so If you start with lots you may end up with a lot. They are quick, and can fly so they have a better chance of getting away than a chicken. The one I lost had decided to start roosting in a tree instead of going into the coop. After about 3 nights we found feathers and no longer saw that guinea.

Back
Top Bottom