How many have guard donkeys?

Oh I know what you mean about the noise. I remember for awhile after we first moved to our place we bought, a horse would "neigh" really loud. Scared me when I was outside at night taking the puppy outside to potty train
duc.gif
. My DH works out of town so we are home alot without him. Scared the mess out of me.

wendy

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine are VERY loud, they both do the greeting at 7 am SHARP and then all 3 outside dogs start howling - add in the call ducks and the geese and you got yourself a chorus. I can hear the donkeys that live a mile down the road as well...they do sound like they are dying - but no...just saying hello there.

Last edited:
We had two wild burros that we adopted from the Bureau of Land Management -- they were the sweetest animals we've ever had. They ran in a pasture with our horses and 2 cows. We witnessed them attack a dog once, and we never had dog problems again, so we know they work! We don't have them anymore, but I have a quarter horse gelding that runs coyotes out of the pasture!! Maybe he thinks he is a donkey....
Wendy

I have 9.5 donkeys - and yeah, they dislike dogs.

They do not like to be alone - they crave company, that is probably why that neighbor's donkey is so loud. They will call out to find others to hang with. We have a neighbor who has one donkey, a miniature donkey, he sounds like a foghorn and he is almost a mile away - we hear him quite well, here.

Mine will hee haw at dinner time, or breakfast time - or anytime they think they need food (which is usually when they see me walk out the door
lau.gif
) Not all of them hee haw, but with 9 donkeys if even half of them do, it gets loud. Personally, I love the sound of donkeys.

If you do get a pair, and don't want babies, make sure if you have a jack it is cut - intact jacks can get agressive when the jenny is in heat.

If you do get donkeys and they bray a lot, then the way to break them of it is to not cater to their noise - in other words, if they are braying just to get your attention, and you do not want them to bray every time they see you, then don't go out to them right away when they bray - make them wait.

Donkeys are very smart - and they can be very sensitive (emotional).

I would suggest a donkey to anyone. I absolutely adore our donkeys. I can't wait til Mama donkey has her baby next spring.

meri

Quote:
YES YES YES! OMG they are pigs too - according to them they need food 24 hours a day and treats in between!

Yes, they understand my emotions as well - don't mistreat a donkey because they will ahve a hard time forgiving you. They were mad at me this morning for being late with their food and got bossy - but they are generally giant sweethearts.​

I have one mini donkey. He is not guarding a darn thing around here but the back door - he guards that for anything edible coming out of it
big_smile.png

I have the donkey and 1 full size Appy and they do great together. Our dogs do go out with the donkey. It has taken alot of work to get them all together and an occasional "refresher" course but it can be done and everyone really does well living in harmony.

As for noise, I do know you can hear him loud and clear at 1/2 mile away. He is not really bad about the braying. He brays at feeding times and sometimes when you go out to play with them and if he is in the back pasture he will come running and braying. Almost like he is telling you "I'm coming - wait for me" the horse really hates when he brays for no reason and is quick to tell him about it.

As for the chickens, he does great with them. They will sometimes eat at his bucket as he drops some grain and the most he does to run them off is shakes his head.

We did try to get a goat and he HATED the goat. He went on a rampage several times trying to kill the goat.

Quote:
YES YES YES! OMG they are pigs too - according to them they need food 24 hours a day and treats in between!

Yes, they understand my emotions as well - don't mistreat a donkey because they will ahve a hard time forgiving you. They were mad at me this morning for being late with their food and got bossy - but they are generally giant sweethearts.​

One of our newest donkeys came from a farm a few miles away - we got 4 donkeys that day, but her "buddy" didn't come along (was a Jack, and I already have two jacks) - she was depressed for two weeks. Poor girl, she is back to normal, now, but man I was worried, she just sulked around for so long.

Mine are the biggest babies.
lau.gif
a friend of mine asked me why I need so many donkeys, I replied - Because they are so cute and sweet. What other reason do you need but that when you walk out to the pasture they come to greet you and have you love them up?

I much prefer donkeys to horses. We had horses, only have one old girl, still. She loves the donkeys - because she has arthritis and is an older horse. The donkeys don't knock her around and don't run into her. The other horses would accidently knock her all over the place, just being horses and doing what horses do.

I have a mini donkey baby (she is about 7 months, actually) and she is the one donkey that the horse never messes with her food dish or anything. They hang a lot together - it's funny, because my baby can walk right under the horse's tummy (and does so - often).

meri

Back
Top Bottom