How many hens can my yard support?

Way off topic, but just as an fyi cause you're new----your font is too small. and the off color makes it even harder to read. Just sayin', as it will cause some folks with good input to not answer your threads cause it's too hard to read.

Here is one we just started today for my buddy is 8x8, 8ft front wall 6ft back wall with the roof sloped between the two.
Honestly I wouldn't bother with online plans for chicken coops as they are mostly going to be geared toward the small coop. Just building a small shed with nest boxes, roost bars, and a chicken door is by far the best approach, it gives plenty of room and your can walk in and clean or work on something, to me it's far easier. He will likely have around 500 dollars in this coop though he did have a few materials left over from other projects. That's not bad for a nice heavy duty building it will be very secure and last far longer than the stuff you see for sale online. I could give you a simple material list to build something like this if you like but it's tough if you don't really know building to get it done.

Thanks donrae! Good info :)

Blucoondawg this is awesome but I don't think I could build it alone. On our future property I'd love to do something like this though.

Has anyone ever used a plastic shed?! My Sam's has this one on sale...

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/10-8-lifetime-outdoor-storage-shed/198827?cid=SPOT_4UP_2

I love the idea that the floor is a hard plastic as well which looks really easy to clean. Also love the windows come with it, and I can take it down and move it when I sell the house. Thoughts??

Thanks donrae! Good info
smile.png

Blucoondawg this is awesome but I don't think I could build it alone. On our future property I'd love to do something like this though.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/10-8-lifetime-outdoor-storage-shed/198827?cid=SPOT_4UP_2

I love the idea that the floor is a hard plastic as well which looks really easy to clean. Also love the windows come with it, and I can take it down and move it when I sell the house. Thoughts??
Link not working for me.

Thanks donrae! Good info
smile.png

I see it on display all the time at Sams. It is pretty good. $900 smax -plus governers share = $1000

Here it is if link isn't working!! It'd def be a bit above budget but I could justify it since it'd be sort of easy to move if we sold the house :)

Hello!

I have been reading the forum forever, but I finally decided to make an account so that I can ask a quick question, and then eventually post responses to help others out.

I bought 6 baby pullets at the feed store last week, but then I decided that I really wanted chickens that were already laying as well. I hopped on craigslist, and found someone right down the road that has 15 7 month old hens who are adorableeee, and a huge chicken coop for sale. I reallly really want the entire setup, but I'm wondering if my yard can support this many hens? I have about .75 acres of back yard that is fenced in. The coop would be in there, and the chickens would be allowed out in the chainlink fence during the day. I have read conflicting things on if the chickens will get out of my fence or not, but it is about 5 ft tall.

If I do this would the chickens completely de-grass my back yard? Is this really too many chickens for my small area too? I raise mealworms for my reptiles, and I plan on giving them lots of treats, but it seems like they may still tear out my grass. The yard is extremellllly grassy ( mowing once a week in the summer results in ft tall grass between mowing), and there is a ton of weeds out there. I'm trying to give as much info as possible, but feel like I may be rambling so anything else that would help to make the determination if this is big enough or not, let me know.
On whether or not the chickens would get out, that will depend on the breed that you have. My brahamas and mixed breeds do well with my 10 foot high fence around the run but when they free-ranged it was nothing to find a leghorn up on top. So some birds are more flighty than others. If you want to be careful, the heavier breeds do the best as far as staying put. As for the coop, with the size that you've mentioned in later posts, I'd go with at least two coops. Especially since you have two groups of such varying ages. For the yard, I frequently throw out various seeds to replace the greenery. What ever they don't eat then sprouts.

Problem with those is lack of adequate ventilation...and they can be tricky to modify depending on material and wall construction.
Someone just did a pretty nice job modifying one tho...saw a thread not long ago. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1092162/7-ft-2-in-x-7-ft-6-in-resin-shed-coop-conversion

I actually like the shed that you shared better! She did an awesome job with the ventilation while keeping it looking super nice! I am so tore between a cheap metal shed and the plastic shed now - since both will need ventilation added. I so wish that I had the time to just build from scratch! Thanks tons everyone for your help! You guys are all greatttt!

On whether or not the chickens would get out, that will depend on the breed that you have. My brahamas and mixed breeds do well with my 10 foot high fence around the run but when they free-ranged it was nothing to find a leghorn up on top. So some birds are more flighty than others. If you want to be careful, the heavier breeds do the best as far as staying put. As for the coop, with the size that you've mentioned in later posts, I'd go with at least two coops. Especially since you have two groups of such varying ages. For the yard, I frequently throw out various seeds to replace the greenery. What ever they don't eat then sprouts.

Thanks for the info! I actually ended up not getting the bigger chickens so now I have a set of rhode island red pullets (6) and a set of Barred rock straight runs (6). They are all under a week old in a brooder in my basement :) I figure by the time they are ready to go outside I can for sure have everything ready with a coop :) I have def been trying to go with heavy-ish birds since I am planning on them being dual purpose.

Back
Top Bottom