How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

All of these wonderful photos, now I'm going to have to wait out the rain and take some pics of the backyard!

I fell asleep reading all these posts downstairs on the couch.
th.gif
Shhhh, don't tell my husband. I'm pretending I came downstairs early.
gig.gif

I consider myself a country farm girl at heart and in life, but some might say I’m a backyarder. I live way out in the country.
Deer, elk, wild turkeys, cows, horses, llamas, alpacas, all kinds of birds, goats, sheep, and huge farms, surround me. We only have a little over an acre ourselves.

I raise chickens and sell my eggs in town every week. We also have a huge garden that's expanding with raised beds and I grow food I share and barter with people. My greenhouse just went in last month. Its empty for now but next year I will be selling vege starts and plants as well as eggs. In my orchard I have numerous apple, pear, peach, and walnut trees. I also have figs, strawberries, blue, logan, and marion berries, as well as 8 different types of grapes, flowers, herbs, 12 types of mints, as well as 12 raised 4x18 vegetable beds. I have/had 3 dogs, cat, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, and fish. Currently I have 2 dogs, cat, one rabbit, chickens, roosters, and fish. I’d love to have some Nigerian goats but husband has put his foot down…..
wink.png
If I could physically handle it I'd have a cow, goats, and more garden.

I'm a backyarder. 2 acres: 3 dogs and 15+ chickens. Just got baby Buckeye chics. I sell extra eggs to friends only. Originally from Bucks County now in Schuylkill County

Farmer
~~~~~~~~~
outside city limits
nearest Walmart is nearly an hour
two dirt roads to get to my place

Backyarder
~~~~~~~~~
less than five acres
don't sell anything (yet!)

Backyarder
Only have two hens and two pullets!
Would LOVE to breed but the council says you can have one rooster as long as no one complains and up to 20 hens.... which I think is stuoid, I'd want my roo to have a guarenteed home for life, plus no guarentees on chick sexes!
I wish you could sex eggs... then I'd just buy them for my hens to hatch! lol

We're wanta be farmers, but I think we've only made it to backyard statius. We have 5 acres and we lease about 10 acres of hay. We have 10 horses, 10 goats, a calf, 3 pigs, 4 llamas, 40 rabbits, and about 200 various birds for showing, eating, and eggs. We have a large garden and we sell enough critters and eggs to off set our feed costs and we feed ourselves and some of our extended family. It's a full time job for me, but it sure dosen't make me a really income.

Back
Top Bottom