How many here have seen tornadoes?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've always said I'd like to witness a tornado for myself, providing its not coming towards my house!

One of my favorite movies is Twister and I've always been amazed by storms. I'm the type that will get soaking wet trying to get a good picture of the storm! I think the awesome T-storms we have here are one of the things I miss the most about summer!

I've been around tornado weather (We get a lot of it here in NJ believe it or not), but I've never actually seen the tornado.

Saw one once. Sitting in a conference room full of people and looked up to see one aimed right at us. Ran around the building like a loon evacuating everyone to the basement.

Disrupted the whole day. Nothing happened and I got teased mercilessly.

Until the next day when the paper reported that the twister had been aimed right for us but had taken a sudden turn when it hit a small river about two blocks away. It had followed the river for a while before petering out.

We had tornado drills after that.

I always joke around about being a storm chaser. I realized there are people out there who actually do this as a hobby though, in central OK and KS. I would LOVE to get into that! It's funny because the people who chase storms remind me of the birders we have here in NJ. I would LOVE to be the photographer for a storm chaser team.

I'm thinking of moving out west for med school in two years, so we'll see where I'd end up. My one criteria for choosing a place to live is good storms!

Yup I have, but never a really close boig one.

My husband had one go right over his house when we were little. It picked up their carport, rolled it down their roof and crashed it down on the other side. Scary!

The closest I'v got was last year. It was a tiny one, but we had no basement and our house wasnt tied down to the foundation. So I grabbed the kiddos and we drove to a relatives a mile away. It was very scary. By the time I got out of the driveway you couldnt see the house for all the dust! But that was as long as it lasted, and it did no damage.

I know, they say never leave the house...
hu.gif

We were about 100ft away from a EF2 that took our apartment complexes club house down. I also have been in hurricanes,blizzards, brushfires and a minor earthquake.We were also only 2 miles from the tornado that killed 21 people in Florida in 07 that one was a highend EF3.

Last edited:
Tornadoes are neat to watch IF they are not tearing up someones home. Growing up in SW OK, I saw quite a few.

I remember, as a kid, running up the street to the neighbors cellar when the "storm whistle" blew. We were on the edge of city limits and behind the house with the cellar was farm land. Each time the lightening would strike we could see a small tornadoe on the ground in the fields. I can also remember the News, live footage of the three small tornadoes that joined together and formed one massive tornadoe, and went thru Wichita Falls in the80's, and caused alot of destruction.

Living in SW MO, we see lots of tornadoe damage...havent actually seen one yet...but we DEFINATELY heard one go over our house not long ago...then the house a half mile away from us, lost its entire roof!!!!
barnie.gif

So as a former storm LOVER....I have to say
hu.gif
they are just getting a little
hide.gif
toooooo close to home these days and the more close calls we have , the less I LOVE storms as I used to.....
bow.gif

I respect them now !!!!!

me when i was a kid . I was born and raised in indiana, moved to ky when I was 18. anyway we had a tornado warning one day and out past our back yard was a corn field granny was trying to get us in the basement you could see it coming right at our house we were blessed it jumped it, my best friend was not so lucky her and her mom were in their basement and it sucked her right out of her moms arms. I never will forget that. It happened 34 years ago. I was 8. she lived just 3 houses down from us. I never will forget becky.

Back
Top Bottom