How many hours of daylight do you get?

Quote:
I haven't started adding it yet, but plan to add in the a.m., a few hours earlier than sunrise, so that the transition is smoother into full daylight. I have heard that adding artificial light after sunset means that, when the light finally turns off, they are in sudden & total darkness.

Right.

We only get about 5 1/2 hrs by Dec. I put a light on a timer in their coop. I have it set to come on about 6am and turn off around 8pm. The ladies layed all winter but fewer eggs. They averaged about six a day, unless we got sub-zero temps.

Agree with feathersnuggles, if you are going to do this, this is the best way. I don't do it, but it is a personal choice, of course.

Quote:
Woo hoo! Now I gotta go find your first egg post! Got pics?

I sure do-I just have to figure out how to get them on here!

Right now, we're almost at exactly 12 hours where I am in MA. Last fall, when I first started with chickens, we kept them in the barn. I added light early in the morning to give them their 14 or so hours. Now, they're outside in the coop and I'm wrapping up wiring it today so that I can plug a timer in and use a light. Spent last evening digging the trench for the underground conduit and I feel so old now! Those girls better give me some eggs for my trouble
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

This site is easy to use for those in the US to find their length of daylight.

http://www.almanac.com/sunrise/40379

Whether or not you use artificial light to increase egg production is purely personal choice. Personally, I'm not convinced they need a break from egg laying to remain healthy and happy as long as they get proper nutrition and care. Some breeds, like the Australorp, are good winter egglayers and seem to do as well as breeds that quit or really slow down in winter. I'm aware others will seriously disagree with this statement.

What I do believe they need is a chance to molt once a year once they reach adulthood. They will get a break from laying during a molt. A molt does more than give them a chance to replace broken and worn out feathers. It changes them internally so that the egg size, quality, and frequency of lay changes. It is a necesary part of their maturity. If you delay a molt, the frequency of lay can slow down. That's why the commercial operators will sometimes force a molt, to keep production up and improve egg quality.

I think nature set it up so that when the days get shorter it signals the chicken to molt so it can replace the broken and worn feathers before the worst of the winter months. They quit egg production so they can concentrate their energy on replacing the feathers and they are not trying to raise chicks in the cold weather when food is harder to find.

Back
Top Bottom