How Many Inches of Mulch for Run?

The stores here sell bags of pine shavings pretty cheap. Not sure how big your run is but most people leave the plain soil along with any grass/weeds. The birds really like to have contact with the ground to dust bathe and scratch.

I had been doing straw and leaving the back corner of the run fairly bare so they could dust bathe. The worked, except it generated more work.I had to clean out the run once every couple weeks to avoid any smell, and also the amount of straw quickly began to take over my compost bin. I suppose I could strew the used straw in the forest behind my property, but that is even more work and I'm fairly certain people would complain.

I'm trying to come up with a method that won't generate smell, will let me only clear out the run a few times a year, and will also work during our long winter when it gets to -10F on some days. I'd read that mulch is a good option since it composts in the run with the poop.

Pine shavings would be hundreds of dollars to cover my 96 sq ft run a few inches deep. The bags at our local store are pretty expensive.

Pine shavings would be hundreds of dollars to cover my 96 sq ft run a few inches deep. The bags at our local store are pretty expensive.

Really? Here a bag of pine shavings is $5-$6 or so and covers 64 sq ft. I know because a bag will cover my small 8x4 coop floor twice. Buy it at a feed store or other place that sells livestock supplies, not the pet section in smaller stores or walmart.

Pine dries out faster than straw so it is less of a mold risk. Also find a local gardener, they would be happy to take bags of used straw for their gardens.

Yeah, straw ain't gonna cut it...breaks down too fast.
Please post some pics of your run.

Will they dump a big pile where it can sit out of the way until you need it?
Can you answer this question?

Oh good to know! Gosh I am so torn. Maybe what I'll do is put a thin layer down in the run and let the sun beat on it for a week or two before pudding any more down? My run gets a lot of afternoon sun.
Right, why I suggested this:
Just a couple inches should do the trick.
Don't go too deep in run with freshly chipped trees/branches/leaves,
it can be rather wet and cause mold blooms.

I would have them dump the mulch somewhere outside the run, then add a thin layer in your run where the sun can get to it. Just keep doing that until it's deep enough.
I wouldn't use shavings in the run, if there's a breeze they'll just blow around. And when it rains they'll hold on to the moisture instead of letting the water drain.

Really? Here a bag of pine shavings is $5-$6 or so and covers 64 sq ft. I know because a bag will cover my small 8x4 coop floor twice. Buy it at a feed store or other place that sells livestock supplies, not the pet section in smaller stores or walmart.

Pine dries out faster than straw so it is less of a mold risk. Also find a local gardener, they would be happy to take bags of used straw for their gardens.

Wow! It is $25/bag at my store. Granted, I only called one store and that price tag was enough for me to start looking at alternate solutions lol.

Yeah, straw ain't gonna cut it...breaks down too fast.
Please post some pics of your run.

Can you answer this question?

Right, why I suggested this:

Yes, they are dumping it off to the side of my property so I can leave what I don't use there until I need it. :) I think I am going to try the tree mulch and just let the sun beat on a thin layer, add more as needed. I so appreciate everyone's advice, time and expertise!

Yes, they are dumping it off to the side of my property so I can leave what I don't use there until I need it. :) I think I am going to try the tree mulch and just let the sun beat on a thin layer, add more as needed.
That sounds perfect!
Just the wood chips should keep any odors at bay...
...no need to add the zeolite(PDZ/Coop Fresh).

That sounds perfect!
Listen to @aart don't waste the money on the PDZ for the run, because as the materials breakdown and decompose slowly there will be ZERO smell as the chickens will be turning the material all the time.
As a newbie I've done this and what I noticed is that in the beginning you will have some flies showing up because everything is new and the decomposing process has not started, but no smell, as I worried that flies meant a smell was coming but it did not. After a week or two the material started to breakdown (height of it goes down) and it is turned over by the chickens so decomposure starts. No smell and the flies disappear.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^
Try the wood chips without PDZ, you will see that they work. Do not use pine shavings in the run, it won't work the same way. Add more chips as they break down or if you can smell bad odors. Using chips also gives them a run that they can scratch in and dust bath.

Chicks in run.jpg

Back
Top Bottom