How many is too many? Or is there such a thing in chicken raising ;)

Ac7941

Chirping
Dec 9, 2019
Austin, Texas
My husband and I inherited this coop when we bought our house- it’s a converted playhouse. We love it and currently have 6 hens in it. I’m wondering how many it can hold if we wanted to increase our flock? I know it’s large I just don’t have a good idea of how many hens would comfortably fit without becoming overcrowded or overwhelming. I plan on raising some chicks (in the shed pictured) as a fun project for my 4 year old in the spring and want to know how many is too many to start with.

Photos attached show the coop and the yard that the chickens have access to. The coop is two rooms -the interior room has 2 roosts and 4 nesting boxes. The exterior room is mostly for feed and water. The chickens have full range access to the yard in the photo (it’s basically their yard) all day and can also access a large area under a deck (not pictured)

I don’t have exact dimensions at the moment but can try to measure if needed.

thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions!

Attachments

• A754A6BC-6B9B-4600-AC4B-C5E3B3B73CB1.jpeg
    A754A6BC-6B9B-4600-AC4B-C5E3B3B73CB1.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 99
  • BC0348A2-CC1D-44D2-9438-CE6BEE382EEE.jpeg
    BC0348A2-CC1D-44D2-9438-CE6BEE382EEE.jpeg
    925.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 31FD54B7-D1C1-4422-B474-E7CF56241066.jpeg
    31FD54B7-D1C1-4422-B474-E7CF56241066.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • 35B047DB-9234-4F7C-9154-38A011EDE5C8.jpeg
    35B047DB-9234-4F7C-9154-38A011EDE5C8.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 76
Dimensions are the most important (but not only) items for figuring out capacity. Please list:
  • roost length in coop
  • coop space in square ft
  • run space in square ft
  • approximate yard dimensions
  • number and size of nesting boxes
  • are you figuring on having only hens?
  • do you expect to raise only full-sized chickens, bantams or both?

Do you let your chickens out "free-ranging" in your yard? or keep them inside the run? Yes, there is a point where you can have too many ,especially in a suburban setting with limited space. They will start picking on each other. You will get your yard torn up, chicken scratching, dust bathing, eating grass, etc. Then ALL the poo, chickens make lots of poo, more chickens, more poo. There's a balance that can easily be tipped!! I have 7 in my suburban yard at the moment, I'm thinking it's 2, too many. I have a couple going on three years old, I'm a little attached (they were my first) however, I have the name of a guy who will take old hens. I know he stews them. I gave them a great life. I only have so much room.

My husband and I inherited this coop when we bought our house- it’s a converted playhouse. We love it and currently have 6 hens in it. I’m wondering how many it can hold if we wanted to increase our flock? I know it’s large I just don’t have a good idea of how many hens would comfortably fit without becoming overcrowded or overwhelming. I plan on raising some chicks (in the shed pictured) as a fun project for my 4 year old in the spring and want to know how many is too many to start with.

Photos attached show the coop and the yard that the chickens have access to. The coop is two rooms -the interior room has 2 roosts and 4 nesting boxes. The exterior room is mostly for feed and water. The chickens have full range access to the yard in the photo (it’s basically their yard) all day and can also access a large area under a deck (not pictured)

I don’t have exact dimensions at the moment but can try to measure if needed.

thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions!
Measurements will be the answer. Minimum of 3 sq feet per bird if they are outside a lot..4-5 sq ft if you plan on confining them for extended times in bad weather.

Do you know your local laws on keeping chickens?
There might be a limit. Usually is a 4-10 limit.
6 might be close to all the space you have just by looking. But do the math on sqft.
How long have you had the new house and chickens?
I'm thinking more than 6 chickens and your back yard will be a chicken yard. I wouldn't want my Young Kids playing in a chicken poop filled back yard. Chickens will keep the yard grass free if you're not careful.

Do you know your local laws on keeping chickens?
There might be a limit. Usually is a 4-10 limit.
6 might be close to all the space you have just by looking. But do the math on sqft.
How long have you had the new house and chickens?
I'm thinking more than 6 chickens and your back yard will be a chicken yard. I wouldn't want my Young Kids playing in a chicken poop filled back yard. Chickens will keep the yard grass free if you're not careful.

Good point on local laws - I will investigate. I wouldn’t want more than the 10ish number anyways I think.

kids arent allowed in that yard as it’s solely a chicken yard. It’s separate from the main yard where the kids play and use.

Do you let your chickens out "free-ranging" in your yard? or keep them inside the run? Yes, there is a point where you can have too many ,especially in a suburban setting with limited space. They will start picking on each other. You will get your yard torn up, chicken scratching, dust bathing, eating grass, etc. Then ALL the poo, chickens make lots of poo, more chickens, more poo. There's a balance that can easily be tipped!! I have 7 in my suburban yard at the moment, I'm thinking it's 2, too many. I have a couple going on three years old, I'm a little attached (they were my first) however, I have the name of a guy who will take old hens. I know he stews them. I gave them a great life. I only have so much room.

Yes they have access to the outside all day from the moment their door opens at 7 am to when it shuts at 6pm.

Agreed on the amount of chicken poo to clean up. Right now with 6 it seems ok but I’m sure at some point it’ll start to feel like too much.

Dimensions are the most important (but not only) items for figuring out capacity. Please list:
  • roost length in coop
  • coop space in square ft
  • run space in square ft
  • approximate yard dimensions
  • number and size of nesting boxes
  • are you figuring on having only hens?
  • do you expect to raise only full-sized chickens, bantams or both?

Yes only full sized gems, no roosters and no bantams.

I’ll have to get back with specifications.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom