How many lives has your coop had?

countrybuffs

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Silverton, Oregon
I know some people turn old buildings and things into coops, but how many uses has your coop had before it was a coop? We have a simple lean-to on the side of our shop, it is about 27' long and 16' wide, with a fenced run area attached. It is now my chicken coop, but it started out as a storage shed, then it was a dog pen and then a storage shed again, Next it was a home for some dairy goats, then a couple of sheep, then a couple of pygmy goats, after that it was a pretty nice rabbit barn. It tried to be the home of a calf, but she outgrew it, so once again it was a storage shed. Now it is a good chicken coop and I'm pretty sure that is what it will stay! We have lived here for 30 years now and it is interesting to remember all the animals we have gone through,( a lot of them were because of 4-H)

Way back over thirty seven years ago when my grandparents we're in their early sixties they built this small barn. They had purchased about eighty acres of land from a friend. They built this barn and a house on the land where we now live. They also had a house 'in town'. My granddad and grandmother worked side by side on this farm in their spare time and had a camper set up on the land they stayed in. My grandfather was a carpenter, painter, wallpaper hanger and also worked for the electric company setting posts. He also worked for a while at General Mills as a chemist. So, back to the barn! At first it held two fishing boats. Then the largest area held a truck Bed camper. These same two rooms later became home for two horses that belonged to me when I was a teenager.

Now today, buff orpingtons, red stars, Plymouth rocks, Rhode island reds, and australorps call it home.

If you open the largest set of double doors you'd see a long work table against the back wall and I can still remember seeing my granddad standing there as he worked away on something. He was always busy.

I recall the day my step father skinned his first deer too inside this barn. It brings back so many memories of my childhood. I'm so happy it's now my home.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
What a nice story!

All of that green. You live in a beautiful place!
Way back over thirty seven years ago when my grandparents we're in their early sixties they built this small barn. They had purchased about eighty acres of land from a friend. They built this barn and a house on the land where we now live. They also had a house 'in town'. My granddad and grandmother worked side by side on this farm in their spare time and had a camper set up on the land they stayed in. My grandfather was a carpenter, painter, wallpaper hanger and also worked for the electric company setting posts. He also worked for a while at General Mills as a chemist. So, back to the barn! At first it held two fishing boats. Then the largest area held a truck Bed camper. These same two rooms later became home for two horses that belonged to me when I was a teenager.

Now today, buff orpingtons, red stars, Plymouth rocks, Rhode island reds, and australorps call it home.

If you open the largest set of double doors you'd see a long work table against the back wall and I can still remember seeing my granddad standing there as he worked away on something. He was always busy.

I recall the day my step father skinned his first deer too inside this barn. It brings back so many memories of my childhood. I'm so happy it's now my home.

Let's see. Our "brand new" coop which still needs it's final coat of paint started life as a friend's ice shanty which he hauled into our woods and turned into a hunting stand, then when he couldn't hunt anymore my hubby moved it around to use himself a couple times then finally hauled it closer to the house where it became his tool shed. Then when I finally talked him into letting me get my chickens, I gave him my best "pretty please"
love.gif
,and he surrendered his beloved tool shed and we drug it over next to my greenhouse where it is now the new home of 4 (so far, hehehe) rescued 18-24 month old Aussie/Wyandotte crosses
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom