How many meat birds would you suggest per year?

PGRanch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
Northern California
This is sort of a math question! LOL.

We eat a lot of chicken, its pretty much our staple. Now that we have land I want to raise our own meat. I was thinking 10 meat chickens once a year and eating off of that for the rest of the year. Now that seems small to me.

We are just 2 people eating plus the odd group of friends for a BBQ.

How much chicken do you eat, how many do you processing per year for how many people?

Sundown_Farmer

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Non-Chicago, Illinois
We try to keep 50 for ourselves each year. That gives us a bird/week each week minus the week we eat turkey and the week we eat ham...lol. There are 6 of us and we work to stretch each bird out over several meals. Plus we keep a few backs and necks in the freezer for additional soup stock.

10 is not enough. One/week is a good place to start. You could get fat on 75.

vsmenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
MT
There are 6 of us, and I have 35 chicks for our first batch. We eat chicken a couple times per week.usually, so will see how long these last in the next few months. I'm hoping to add some turkeys to supplement the chicken.

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
We have 2 adults and 4 kids. We eat chicken about 8 meals per week. We put around 150 birds in the freezer per year. We've gotten to the point where we cut up almost all our birds. We end up with a bunch of backs, but we make a large batch (15 gallons) of broth 2-3 times/year. I just started boning out the thighs which we really like. I like it because the breasts and boneless thighs have about the same cooking time on the grill. I also started making chicken sausage, which is a nice change of pace.

I don't think 10/year is enough. Once you taste them, you're likely to eat chicken more often.

what did I do

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
No less than 25 unless you plan on growing out several batches of chickens a year. It seems like someone always wants you to sell them some.

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
How many chickens a year does your family eat? If you want to raise all your chicken, that is how many you will raise.

I can't tell you how many to raise, since I don't know how many you eat.

PGRanch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
Northern California
How many chickens a year does your family eat?  If you want to raise all your chicken, that is how many you will raise.

I can't tell you how many to raise, since I don't know how many you eat.

I was asking everyone how many birds they ate for how many people so I can compare. :). How many chickens do you process for how many people?

I think I will start out with 20 and see how long that lasts. I can always grow more ;)

Thanks everyone for your examples! I really appreciate it.

akjack

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Two Rivers, Alaska
There are two of us and we raise 25 cornish cross and 8 turkeys per year and we always seem to be down to just a few packs left in the freezer by the time harvest day comes.

dace316

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
We started with 12, because I never butchered anything in my life. They went to the freezer in May and I maybe have half left. We're getting 30 chicks in 2 weeks to do another batch. Some of our family want some for their freezers and I'm hoping to have enough to last through the winter. I don't think I'd go more than this at a time. I can only process 4-5 in a day--the smell gets to me after a few. I prefer doing small batches as they get big enough.

Good luck!

Top Bottom