How many nest boxes???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cjdeere, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cjdeere

cjdeere Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Hi everyone,
    I'm building my first chicken house and I'm having trouble with how many nest boxes I need. I've heard that I should have one nest for every 5 chickens but I'm new at this and want to do this right the first time so I thought I'd ask thoughs who are in the know. I'm going to have about 25 - 30 chicks total. The coop I'm building is a 10' x 12'. Do you guys think that's an ok size? They will also have access to most of the goat pin to forage around and irritate my two Minni-Nubian girls. Anyway what do you all think about how many chickens per nest and my coop size? Thanks everyone, I've learned alot just by looking around the site.

Thanks,
    CJ

2. Mrs Chickenlady

Mrs Chickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Welcome CJ [​IMG] I'm most certainly not the expert here, but from my experience 1 nesting box to every 5 hens is plenty. My first coop had two boxes and 5 hens. To this day they've never used the one nesting box [​IMG]
    4 sq feet per bird is the average, so 10 x 12 should be sufficient for 25. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress [​IMG]

3. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    YUP 1 NEST PER 5

4. TechEdFireman

TechEdFireman Chillin' With My Peeps

5. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    I have found that it doesn't matter how many boxes you have, they all argue about the same one. Mine almost stand in line to get in that one perfect box. Heaven forbid they might use one of the other 5!!!
    Tink

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 boxes for 5, but whatever box they choose to lay in on the given day, they all head to that one box. I actually had one blocked and they managed to squish themselves behind it! That was the first time I got 4 eggs in one day...they're new, they've only been at it for under 2 weeks!

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Don't worry, you'll grow into it!![​IMG]

8. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    They do tend to like to lay in the same nest box. With that many chickens they will more than likely only use a couple of nest boxes. They usually go into the one that already has an egg in it and lay there. Thats why dummy eggs work to get your chickens to lay in a certain place. They aren't very smart and assume every egg is the last one they laid. For the fifty new chicks I have coming, the coop they are going in has eight nest boxes. I don't expect them to use all of them.

9. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:Don't worry, you'll grow into it!![​IMG]

I agree, I can tell that 10 chickens won't be enough for you. You'll fill those boxes [​IMG]

10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I just got a 12 hole one just like that for $25 on craigslist and I only have 12 pullets in the pen right now. No worries though, I do intend to fill them up. [​IMG] Luckily for me, they use 5-6 of the holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by