How many of each type?

Teacherpea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
I've been reading about the different breeds, and I noticed several people have said not to have one of each breed of chicken. Is this really a problem? I ordered one of each of several different breeds, all of which have similar temperaments.

I have one EE, one New Hamp, one Jersey Giant and three Marans without much trouble. The EE is very timid and it has taken a long time for her to integrate but now they all get along fine.

I generally don't order just one for the simple fact that death loss is not uncommon. So if you order one and it doesn't make it you don't have that type of bird. As long as you get all docile or aggressive breeds you should be fine. I don't recommend getting 1 production red, 1 gold comment and one Brahma. Just because the docile Brahma will get picked on.

When I got my chicks last year from TSC I made sure to get a few from each box, 3 Red sex links, 4 Cornish X cross, and 3 EE to total up to ten. Now a year later I have 1 ee left, 2 CX, and all my RSL. You always plan ahead just incase of loosing a chicken.

I can't believe you still have 2 Cornish cross. They usually don't survive that long.
Yes I can't believe it either. I looked around and found that they didn't have to be butchered as the other meat birds do. I just couldn't bring myself do it. So Martha and Betty get to stay around as long as they like.
wink.png

Thanks everyone! I just didn't know what to do, and we wanted to meet several different breeds. We got an EE, a buff orpington, a rhode island red, a barred rock, a white rock, and a black austrolorp. I ordered them from Meyer Hatchery; they're sending us an extra chick (like one of the ones we picked) on an honor system that we give away some eggs to pay it forward. We're down to 2-4 days before they get here! Yay!!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom