How Many of You have Friendly Roos and...

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
How many have mean ones?? And what breeds?

After reading a lot of the posts, I am just curious to see if there are more mean roos out there or nice ones?? This will determine wether or not I get one for my flock of BO girlys! After reading I am nervous on getting a standard size roo!! I can't have bantys...

Curiously Waiting!!

Hi, I understand that BOs are very gentle birds, I don't have any myself but plan on getting a few to add to my flock. Why don't you just get a BO roo? I have australorps and my 1 roo is shy, I have to catch him to hold him. They are only 15 wks old though.
I think if you handle them a lot, they will be pretty tame.

I have had the absolute sweetest roos. Current roo BJ is a total doll, not a mean bone in his body. Takes brilliant care of his lady friend Annie. Worries and watches and protects. Builds her a nest and warms it for her, or perhaps is demonstrating what to do, I don't know!. Guards her while she's nesting. Feeds her, finds her treats - gives up his own if she wants them. Does not "bother" her excessively AT ALL*. He was the same gentle way with her predecessor Betty, whom he adored. Never left her side and was a true prince with her. When he first arrived some 7 years ago or so he was with another roo, also extremely sweet and they were the best of friends. That was Johnny. Years before that, 2 roos appeared on my property out of nowhere and they were also very sweet. All 4 had a similar look to them but I am not absolutely sure what they are. Will have to post pics sometime.

(* There was a several month period last year after hen Betty died where BJ was staying at another location with 25+ hens. While initially allowed to free range, things were great - he was so wonderful with the hens - but once the person stopped allowing freedomss and required all to stay penned up, BJ's behavior changed. He was mating the hens much more - probably bored and seemed frustrated to be penned up. Once he was back with me and allowed freedoms, he was immediately back to being as gentle as can be even though there is only one hen. I make this point because I don't think number of hens always has to do with how the roo behaves - I think it has a lot to do with the situation they're in and whether there is anything else to do all the live long day)

JJ

I have the following:

3 Buff Orp Roos - all friendly (pet and hand feed them daily - they will greet you, which looks scary to people because of their size, but they just want attention)

1 EE Roo - distant although will eat out of my hand. Prefers not to be touched. Aggressive towards other males including my wild eastern tom turkey.

4 Araucana Roos - Friendly (altho my dd says Blizzard, my one white roo, does not like her)

2 Bantam Buff Ameraucana Roos - 1 cocky (don't turn your back on me cocky) & 1 friendly (likes to be pet and held)

2 Bearded Buff Silkie Roos - 1 distant (has already flogged once, but not since) and 1 friendly (loves to be pet)

Jody

My Dominique cockerel (8 months old) is very gentle. I just bought him, and I asked the man I bought him from to pick me out a very docile male bird. Told him I didn't want a scary rooster!

Well, he is very sweet! He likes people, and is picked on by the dominant hen. Not bad, but she won't let him sleep in the coop at night. Fortunately I have 2 coops, so he has his own bachelor pad, and I always put one of my 3 super sweet girls in with him at night. Because he's such a favorite, we can't bear the thought of him being alone all night.

Oh, and he doesn't crow at all (yet?). In fact, my birds make hardly any noise at all. They warble and coo. They are all Dominiques and BR/Dom crosses.

I hand raised an Australorp roo and he was extremely gentle, unless you happened to be messing with one of his girls! (I stepped on one of the hen's toes by mistake one day, and her squawk brought him running from across the yard!)
I had to give him away, however, because he sang at te top of his lungs ALL DAY LONG, starting at about 3:30 AM! The woman I gave him to says he is still a sweetie.

we had a bad buff orpington male his name was bruce he chased my whole family I learned to push him over with my foot
smile.png

My Buff Orp roo, Moses, is a doll. He isn't overly friendly but want to be whereever you are but does not like being handled but will settle if you insist on holding him. He is great with his girls if a little over zealous in the mornings. I couldn't ask for a better roo.

2 BO roos... Barley (major family favourite, follows you around, coos when picked up) and Becker (mean, skittish, always sulking.. maybe 2nd on the pecking order to Barley tho...) May name one of my RIR roos "Millet"!

I have an Australorp and 2 EE roosters. They are all fine around us. The only roosters we ever had a problem with were BR's. We ended up eating all of them. They would attack my kids and that just wasn't acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom