1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How many of you use plans to build a coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omran, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Omran

Omran Songster

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I am just wondering if I am the only one who does things in kind of crazy way, every time I build a new coop or a shed or anything for my farm I just get my hammer and nails and start working with no plan or any thing, and ofcourse I run to some surprises [​IMG] I did not expect, but it always be solved on its own.
    What funny is that every time i finsh, I tell myself next time I will have a plan [​IMG]

2. ladyride

ladyride Songster

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    So far we have built 3 buildings no plan they always seem to work out [​IMG] sometimes have to make some modifications . [​IMG]

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I draw up my own plans, but I have built so many now I just wing it.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    My first 2 coops/tractors I used plans. Now I just gather what I have and start building. I just started on a large 12x16' coop. The plans are in my head.

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Songster

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    No plans here. We only built the fully enclosed run though, not the coop. We bought the coop off of Craigslist. [​IMG]

6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Songster

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    My husband used one of the plans in Chicken Coops for Dummies... he's built other things without plans but I was being picky on how the coop should look. He said the plans were good at first but went down hill about 1/2 way thru, that many measurements were off and they didn't think about alot of factors... so he modified a slight bit. He also wired for electricity and added insulation. Even with his changes it still looks like the coop on the cover of the book. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Note: I helped with painting and the path/patio installation - but he really did the building of the coop and most of the heavy work --- no wait, those flagstones were darn heavy and I lifted quite a few of them :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Songster

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I kind of used an idea from a premade coop at my feed store but changed it so much as I went along by the time it was finished it didn't look anything like the original idea. It came out better. [​IMG]

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Songster

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:Love it

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I found plans online for the first coop and modified them slightly to meet my needs.

I planned out both of my breeding pens.

Is there any other way?

10. BarbG

BarbG In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Chicago
    None of the plans I saw really worked in the space I had and I couldn't afford a decent-quality mail-order coop. After a few weeks of mentally designing the coop, I built a tiny model to scale out of graph paper. After another few days of tweeking the design, I bought what materials I didn't have. My buddy is a carpenter and we put the coop together over a few weekends - again the design was tweeked a bit as we went along. All in all I'm pleased with the design (easy access, easy to clean, chickens like it). If I ever move again, I will build the new coop based on the available space and it may or may not look like the one I have now. I'm glad I trusted my instincts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by