How many of you use plans to build a coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omran, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I am just wondering if I am the only one who does things in kind of crazy way, every time I build a new coop or a shed or anything for my farm I just get my hammer and nails and start working with no plan or any thing, and ofcourse I run to some surprises [​IMG] I did not expect, but it always be solved on its own.
    What funny is that every time i finsh, I tell myself next time I will have a plan [​IMG]

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    So far we have built 3 buildings no plan they always seem to work out [​IMG] sometimes have to make some modifications . [​IMG]

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I draw up my own plans, but I have built so many now I just wing it.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    My first 2 coops/tractors I used plans. Now I just gather what I have and start building. I just started on a large 12x16' coop. The plans are in my head.

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    No plans here. We only built the fully enclosed run though, not the coop. We bought the coop off of Craigslist. [​IMG]

6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    My husband used one of the plans in Chicken Coops for Dummies... he's built other things without plans but I was being picky on how the coop should look. He said the plans were good at first but went down hill about 1/2 way thru, that many measurements were off and they didn't think about alot of factors... so he modified a slight bit. He also wired for electricity and added insulation. Even with his changes it still looks like the coop on the cover of the book. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Note: I helped with painting and the path/patio installation - but he really did the building of the coop and most of the heavy work --- no wait, those flagstones were darn heavy and I lifted quite a few of them :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I kind of used an idea from a premade coop at my feed store but changed it so much as I went along by the time it was finished it didn't look anything like the original idea. It came out better. [​IMG]

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:Love it

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I found plans online for the first coop and modified them slightly to meet my needs.

I planned out both of my breeding pens.

Is there any other way?

10. BarbG

BarbG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Chicago
    None of the plans I saw really worked in the space I had and I couldn't afford a decent-quality mail-order coop. After a few weeks of mentally designing the coop, I built a tiny model to scale out of graph paper. After another few days of tweeking the design, I bought what materials I didn't have. My buddy is a carpenter and we put the coop together over a few weekends - again the design was tweeked a bit as we went along. All in all I'm pleased with the design (easy access, easy to clean, chickens like it). If I ever move again, I will build the new coop based on the available space and it may or may not look like the one I have now. I'm glad I trusted my instincts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by