How many people ride their bicycle to work.

silentrunning

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Venice, Florida
This subject came up on another forum and it was amazing how many people rode their bikes to work. I live in Florida so I can ride almost year round. During the rainy season I cheat and use my truck.

Doug

I really wouldn't drive my bike to work around here. I live on one of those hilly country roads that everyone loves to drive fast on. Remember when Stephen King got hit by a car? Well, I am afraid that would happen to me.

I lived in Aurora CO, (just east of Denver fyi) up untill a few years ago, and rode my bicycle to work for the last 6 years, nearly year round, yes, even in the snow (light snow at least, snowfall in Denver area is NOT what people commonly think)

Knowing how to dress in layers, and having the right gear is imperative. Good lights on bike, and at least some reflective gear on your person too!

When I lived back north I could, it was about a 3 mile ride, but now it's 20 miles each way in a desert, that's not going to work for me.

Hubby rides his recumbrent (sp) bike to work and now just last week, the employer said NO bikes in the premises. It must be OUTSIDE where it would get wet or stolen (this town is very BAD about stolen bikes! even it is padlocked and bolted, it still gets stolen!).

So much for riding bike to work, he said, so now he has to either drive two miles to work OR walk to work.

Mr. Bossman better be careful. Some states have laws that companies have to accommodate bicycles. Other states are working on it. Since our country is trying to conserve oil, it seems like kind of a head in rectum attitude to discourage bikes.

Doug

It's not just about saving oil either, it's about physical activity, the bossman should be glad he has people who are willing to get off their ....chubby bottoms, and get a bit of exercise in. When I rode my bike, it was only about 4 relatively flat miles, but it got my blood moving in the morning, started out the day alert and feeling good. Then, after work, if it was a stressful day, I could pedal harder if I wanted to, or loaf a bit if I was tired, my choice.

I guess faykokoWV would have to be in some REALLY good physical shape!!
gig.gif

Quote:
I agree, my work put in bicycle lockers, that seems like a really stupid thing to discourage. Maybe there are too many bikes laying around in the building and creating a safety hazard? I know that there incentives given here for people that commute by alternative means for the commuter but also for the companies that encourage it. My work even has a fleet of bicycles that people ride between buildings ( it's a huge compound ) that they pay for upkeep on. Of course you are not allowed to take them offsite.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom