So are you an egg washer?

• yes, wash them before you store them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, wash after, when you are ready to use/sell

• sandpaper/bucket of sand before you store them

• Total voters
I usually do not wash mine either. Before I give eggs to someone else I'll make sure they don't have large gobs of goo on them, but they certainly are not nice and white like the store bought ones. (My duck eggs are messier, the chicken eggs aren't so bad). Some people don't like the looks of my eggs, especially the duck eggs, but they don't have to eat mine. I spend quite a bit of time eating out in the barn with pleanty of poop around. I guess me and my family are just used to getting dirty and handling manure. Others are not used to it and can't stand the thought of an unwashed egg. When I do have to clean off the mud and muck, I just wipe with a paper towel. If stuff is dried on I'll scrape off the big gobs and "don't sweat the small stuff!"

A quick wipedown with a warm cloth right before we use them, no dunking.

And no wash for eggs I give away or sell. Just instructions to the person getting the eggs as to what they can do with them -- and I just don't give them the ones that are really dirty, either.

Last edited:
I don't wash the majority of mine. Thought I read somewhere on here that they will go bad quicker if they get washed. I will wash the really dirty ones, but then I put them in the box to get used up first. The rest just washed right before use if they are too dirty. I only give/sell the cleanest ones.

Quote:
I treat my chickens with scrambled or hard boiled eggs from time to time. If you think about it, eggs are the perfect food for chickens, being that an egg is what nourishs a chick before hatching.
They love them.

Well, since yu putit that way, it does make sense. I will try it, they could use some new treats! thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom