1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many pounds of food does a Turkey raised for meat typically eat?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CAChicks, Mar 18, 2015.

1. CAChicks

CAChicks New Egg

May 9, 2014
    Bridgeport, CA
    We are planning to raise some White or Bronze Breast meat Turkeys for the first time this year. I am wondering about how many pounds of feed they eat start to finish. I know Toms and Hens might be different but any rough estimate on what this endeavor might cost would be great. We are thinking of doing 4 or 5 to start this year. Any other tips are welcome too!

2. ashlieneevel

ashlieneevel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2014
    I don't have answer for you but i sure am excited to find out what the answer is right along side you ;)

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    According to this article, http://www.localharvest.org/blog/9885/entry/broad_breasted_white_turkeys_are, and this article, http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...rprising-facts-about-your-thanksgiving-turkey the feed conversion for Broad Breasted White is around 2:1 (2 lb feed for 1 lb body weight) to 2.5:1.

As Broad Breasted Bronze have not been commercially selected for optimal growth for decades, I suspect that they are not quite as efficient, but they are still better performers in this area than heritage birds. I would estimate from my flock (chickens poach the turkey feed so it's not accurate) a FCR of 2.5:1 to 3:1 for BBB from hatchery stock.

My own Broad Breasted Bronzes of previous years dressed out at 17-20 pounds for hens, 24-30 pounds for toms at 18 weeks. The biggest I raised was 42 pounds dressed, he was 28 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by